The codes are also called "18 + 1" codes, as there are 18 of them, plus one code (NS) for "not stated". In addition to the previously used 16+1 codes, they contain the categories W3 and O2, while A4 is now replacing O1 (Chinese).
British police forces are required to use the SDE 18+1 codes (as opposed to the commonly used radio shorthand IC codes) when spoken contact has taken place and an individual has been given an opportunity to state their self-perceived ethnicity.
List of SDE codesEdit
- Mixed or Multiple ethnic groups
- M1 – White and Black Caribbean
- M2 – White and Black African
- M3 – White and Asian
- M9 – Any other Mixed or Multiple background
- Other ethnic groups
- O2 – Arab
- O9 – Any other ethnic group
- Not stated
- NS – Not Stated.
- "Criminal Justice System Exchange Data Standards Catalogue, Version 6" (PDF). GOV.UK. HM Government. Retrieved 16 July 2021.
- The code systems used within the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) to formally record ethnicity. 2 March 2007.
- The Stephen Lawrence Inquiry. February 1999.