- 1 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup water
- 2/3 cup white vinegar
Method: Simmered and mixed with mint, cucumbers, and lime as in the sugary recipe below. The foam is skimmed off while cooking.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- A small bunch of fresh mint, washed
- 2 small seedless cucumbers, washed, peeled and shredded
- Lime rind (optional)
- In a heavy-bottom pot combine sugar and water. Place on medium heat and stir till sugar is dissolved. Reduce heat and gently boil for 10–15 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup of vinegar and simmer for 25–30 minutes or until it thickens. Taste and adjust the level of sweetness or sourness of the syrup.
- In the last minute or two add a few fresh mint leaves to the syrup.
- Remove from heat and put it into refrigerator. Remove the mint.
- The syrup is then mixed with ice water, shredded cucumber, and lime.
Serve with lots of crisp and fresh lettuce on the side. Wine vinegar, particularly some flavoured wine vinegars (e.g. peach), can be substituted for the white vinegar. A little bit of rose or orange water can also be added.