Security Council of Kazakhstan
The Security Council of Kazakhstan (Kazakh: Қазақстан Республикасының Қауіпсіздік Кеңесі, Qazaqstan Respublikasynyñ Qauıpsızdık Keñesı Russian: Совет безопасности Республики Казахстан) is a constitutional advisory body of the Kazakh Government which aides and assists the President of Kazakhstan in implementation of military policy and law enforcement. The President, who is the Supreme Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of Kazakhstan, is one of many permanent members of the council, which includes the Minister of Defence and the Chief of the General Staff. The council is led by its chairman, currently former President Nursultan Nazarbayev, who (since 2018) holds this position for life. The Secretary of the Security Council (currently Kalmukhanbet Kassymov) is the second highest position in the council.
The Security Council dates back to August 21, 1991, when it was founded as the Security Council of the Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic, which was created by decree of President Nazarbayev. It would later be transformed into the Security Council of the Republic of Kazakhstan in June 1993. The current mandate and regulations of the Security Council were approved by the government on 20 March 1999. The office of Secretary of the Security Council is the effective chief of the council who reports to the chairman. The position was introduced in June 1994 and has remained an important component of the Security Council. An amendment passed by parliament in May 2018 defines the decisions made by the council to be "mandatory and are subject to strict execution by state bodies, organisations and officials of the Republic of Kazakhstan."
The Security Council of Kazakhstan has the following mandates:
- To ensure that the president has full control to exercise his/her national security powers.
- To form and implementation a national security policy.
- To recommend options for the prior to him/her making decisions on domestic and foreign policy issues related to national security.
- To prepare the carrying out of international agreements that repeated to national security.
Permanent members of the Security Council include the following:
- Nursultan Nazarbayev (former President & Chairman for life)
- Prime Minister
- Head of the Presidential Administration
- Secretary of the Security Council
- Chairman of the National Security Committee
- Foreign Minister
- Minister of Defence
Other members include:
- "Назарбаєв пожиттєво очолить Раду безпеки Казахстану". Zik.ua. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Назарбаєв залишив собі ключову посаду у силовому блоці Казахстану". 19 March 2019. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Назарбаєв довічно залишиться головою Ради безпеки". Ua.krymr.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- "Kazakh Leader To Become Life-Long Security Council Chairman". Rferl.org. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- Aigerim Seisembayeva (13 July 2018). "Kazakh President given right to head National Security Council for life". Astanatimes.com. Retrieved 23 March 2019.
- July 2018, Aigerim Seisembayeva in Nation on 13 (2018-07-13). "Kazakh President given right to head National Security Council for life". The Astana Times. Retrieved 2019-05-14.
- "Совет Безопасности — Официальный сайт Президента Республики Казахстан". Akorda.kz. Retrieved 23 March 2019.