Secretary General of the Pacific Islands Forum Secretariat
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Secretary General of the Secretariat is appointed to a three-year term in office by the leaders of the Pacific Islands Forum member states. The Secretary General reports directly to the leaders of the member states and the Forum Officials' Committee (FOC). He or she automatically serves as the permanent chairman or chairwoman of the Council of Regional Organisations in the Pacific (CROP).
The Secretary General is responsible for a variety of roles and responsibilities within the Pacific Islands Forum and the Secretariat. The responsibilities to PIF member states and observers include the following:
- Providing "high quality" leadership to the member states.
- Effectively bring executive management to the office of the Forum Secretariat, as well as its staff and assets.
- Deliver advice and service to member nations of the Pacific Islands Forum.
- Advocate the interests of the Pacific Islands Forum to other international organizations, as well as non-governmental organizations.
- Leading and managing the Pacific Islands Forum (PIF), a meeting of the member states' national leaders, as well as the Forum Officials Committee (FOC). This role includes attending and leading the Pacific Islands Forum ministerial meetings, committees, councils and working groups which may be established by either the PIF or the FOC.
- The Secretary General is chair of the Council of Regional Organisations in the Pacific (CROP).
- Oversee the implementation of any mandates or directives of the Pacific Islands Forum and the Forum Officials Committee.
- Effectively implement the Secretariat's work programme.
List of Secretaries GeneralEdit
Please note: Dates may not be correct.
|#||Name||Country||Took office||Left office|
|Directors of the South Pacific Bureau for Economic Co-operation|
|1||Mahe Tupouniua||Tonga||November 1972||1980|
|2||Gabriel Gris||Papua New Guinea||1980||1982 (died in office)|
|John Sheppard (acting)||Australia||1982||January 1983|
|3||Mahe Tupouniua||Tonga||January 1983||January 1986|
|4||Henry Naisali||Tuvalu||January 1986||September 1988|
|Secretary General of the Pacific Islands Forum|
|Henry Naisali||Tuvalu||September 1988||January 1992|
|5||Ieremia Tabai||Kiribati||January 1992||January 1998|
|6||Noel Levi||Papua New Guinea||February 1998||16 May 2004|
|7||Greg Urwin||Australia||16 May 2004||2 May 2008 (resigned)|
|Feleti Teo (acting)||Tuvalu||2 May 2008||13 October 2008|
|8||Tuiloma Neroni Slade||Samoa ||13 October 2008||4 December 2014|
|9||Meg Taylor||Papua New Guinea||4 December 2014||incumbent|
- "Urwin's stand-in wants the helm". Fiji Times. 2008-08-18. Retrieved 2008-09-14.
- Vula, Timoci (2011-09-09). "Slade back at the helm". Fiji Times. Retrieved 2011-09-13.
- Fisher, Mue (2011-09-09). "Forum Leaders endorse Slade's second term as SG". PRESS STATEMENT (83/11). Forum Secretariat. Retrieved 2011-10-29.