Danny Sullivan (technologist)(Redirected from Search Engine Land)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Danny Sullivan is California-based technologist, journalist and an entrepreneur. He is the Chief Content Officer at Third Door Media, and co-founder of Search Engine Land, an industry publication that covers news and information about search engines, and search marketing, SEO and SEM topics. Third Door Media also produces Marketing Land, a sister website that covers broader digital marketing topics including social media, display advertising, email marketing, analytics, mobile, and marketing technology. Search Engine Land and Marketing Land are owned by Third Door Media, of which Danny Sullivan is partner and chief content officer.
"Mug shot" of Danny Sullivan in 2005.
September 26, 1965 |
Newport Beach, California, U.S.
|Alma mater||University of California, Irvine|
|Known for||Founder of Search Engine Land and Maximized Online|
|Spouse(s)||Lorna Harris (m. ?)|
Danny was one of the 50 marketing influencers, according to Entrepreneur, in 2015.
Sullivan was born in 1965 and raised in California. He graduated from the University of California, Irvine, and was a reporter for the Los Angeles Times and The Orange County Register. Danny helped found Maximized Online with programmer Ken Spreitzer. Later, he married Lorna Harris, and lived for several years in Chitterne, a small village in England. They have two sons. The family moved to Newport Beach, California. Danny can be accredited to popularizing the term Search Engine Marketing within an article he published on Search Engine Watch although does not take credit for coining the term.
Search Engine WatchEdit
Sullivan started Search Engine Watch in June 1997 after he posted research about search engines, called A Webmaster's Guide To Search Engines, in April 1996. Search Engine Watch was a website with tips on how to get good search engine results. Shortly after beginning in November that year, he sold it for an undisclosed amount to MecklerMedia (now Jupitermedia). He stayed on to maintain the site, and be the editor-in-chief. In 2006, it was sold to Incisive Media for $43 million. Search Engine Watch was considered by Matt Cutts of Google as "must reading", and Tim Mayer of Yahoo! as the "most authoritative source on search".
He also staged the Search Engine Strategies conference six times each year, attracting 1,500 to 6,000 attendees each time. On 29 August 2006, Sullivan announced he would be leaving Search Engine Watch on 30 November 2006. He later came to an agreement with Jupitermedia to continue participating in SES through 2007.
Search Engine LandEdit
Search Engine Land is a news website that covers search engine marketing and search engine optimization. One of the well-known blogs which shares information about keyword research, trends in search marketing (SEM), paid search advertising (PPC) and search engine optimization (SEO) as well as analysis, advice, tips, tactics and how-to guides for search marketing. It was founded in 2006 by Sullivan after he left Search Engine Watch. Search Engine Land stories have been cited numerous times by other media outlets.
- "The Master of Google's Search Algorithm Sits Down for a Q&A". smallbiztrends.com. Retrieved 2017-09-05.
- Jefferson Graham: Got a search engine question? Ask Mr. Sullivan, USA Today, 8 January 2006.
- Elizabeth Stone: Helping Webmasters Land in Search Engines' Nets, 23 March 2000, The New York Times
- Sullivan, Danny. "Search Engine Marketing: You Like It, You Really Like It". Search Engine Land. Search Engine Land. Archived from the original on 19 September 2008. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- Sullivan, Danny. "Does SEM = SEO + CPC Still Add Up?". Search Engine Land. Search Engine Land. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- History of Search Engine Watch, Search Engine Watch, 20 November 1997
- Stepping Down From Search Engine Watch, SEW Blog
- Leaving Search Engine Watch, Daggle
- Daggle, 23 October 2006, Danny Sullivan
- Wilson Oliver. "25 Blogs to Take Your Marketing Skills to Next Level". Content Inspire. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Google offers free voice-activated local search, CNET News.com, 6 April 2007
- After Long Delays, Yahoo Launches Panama Ranking System, MarketingVOX, 6 February 2007
- AFP and Google News settle lawsuit, Reuters UK, 7 April 2007