Sean Davis (soccer)
|Full name||Sean Akira Davis|
|Date of birth||February 8, 1993|
|Place of birth||Long Branch, New Jersey, United States|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|New York Red Bulls|
|2008–2009||Match Fit Academy|
|2009–2011||New York Red Bulls|
|2011–2014||Duke Blue Devils||65||(8)|
|2014||New York Red Bulls U-23||11||(3)|
|2015–||New York Red Bulls||112||(4)|
|2015–2016||→ New York Red Bulls II (loan)||10||(1)|
|2008–2009||United States U17||8||(0)|
|2010||United States U18||3||(0)|
* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of July 7, 2019|
‡ National team caps and goals correct as of April 4, 2015
Davis was a member of several youth clubs growing up, including the Holmdel Bulldogs, the NJSA 04 Academy, the Match Fit Academy and the New York Red Bulls academy.
Davis was a two-time captain at Duke University, where he made a total of 65 appearances for the Blue Devils. He led the Atlantic Coast Conference in assists his senior year. Davis was a three-time All-ACC selection, a three-time member of the All-ACC Academic Team, the 2014 ACC Midfielder of the Year, a CoSIDA Academic All-America First Team selection, and a Lowe's Senior Class First Team honoree.
He also played in the Premier Development League for Carolina Dynamo in 2013. During the 2014 summer season, Davis played for the New York Red Bulls U-23 in the National Premier Soccer League. He helped the team capture the 2014 NPSL title appearing as a starter in the league final, where he registered the game winning assist.
New York Red BullsEdit
On April 4, 2015, he made his professional debut for USL affiliate club New York Red Bulls II, helping the team secure its first ever victory with a 4–1 win over Toronto FC II. Davis assisted the first ever goal scored for the New York Red Bulls II, with a feed to Anatole Abang.
On April 17, 2015, Davis made his MLS debut in a 2–0 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes, coming on as a substitute in the 86th minute for Sacha Kljestan. Shortly after his debut, Davis received his first start on May 2, 2015 in a 2–1 loss to the New England Revolution. Davis scored his first professional goal against the Atlanta Silverbacks in the U.S. Open Cup. He received Man of the Match honors for his efforts. On July 23, 2015, Davis led New York to a 4–2 victory over Premier League Champions Chelsea F.C. in a 2015 International Champions Cup match, scoring two goals in the victory. On July 28, 2015, Davis started and played 45 minutes in the 2015 Chipotle Homegrown Game at Dick's Sporting Goods Park. The team was coached by Landon Donovan. Davis' contributions off the bench during the 2015 season helped lead New York to their second Supporters' Shield in two years.
On August 7, 2016, Davis scored his first MLS goal in a 2–2 draw against the LA Galaxy. A week later, on August 13, Davis scored his second goal of the season and assisted on two others in a 3–1 victory over Montreal Impact. Davis was later named to the MLS Team of the Week for his performance. In the league's annual 24 Under 24 series, Davis was ranked as the 22nd best player under the age of 24 in the league; drawing praise from pundits about his intelligence and ability to read the game.
On July 19, 2017, Davis opened the scoring for New York in a 5–1 victory over San Jose Earthquakes. On August 12, Davis recorded a goal and an assist in a 3–1 victory over Orlando City SC. In 2017, Davis appeared in a career high 30 MLS matches, including 23 starts.
On March 1, 2018, Davis scored the second goal of the match for New York in a 2–0 victory over Olimpia in the CONCACAF Champions League. With the victory New York advanced to the Champions League Quarterfinals for the first time in club history.
On March 6, 2018, Davis started and played 90 minutes for New York in a 2–0 victory over Club Tijuana in the CONCACAF Champions League Quarter Finals. The New York Red Bulls made history that night, becoming the first Major League Soccer side to defeat a Liga MX team away in the knockout round of CONCACAF Champions League.
- As of July 7, 2019
|Club||Season||League||MLS Cup/Playoffs||US Open Cup||CONCACAF||Total|
|New York Red Bulls||2015||14||0||0||0||2||1||0||0||16||1|
|New York Red Bulls II (loan)||2015||5||0||1||0||0||0||0||0||6||0|
- Sean Davis, Duke Blue Devils men's soccer. Accessed July 2, 2016.
- "Davis Signs Contract with New York Red Bulls". Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "2014 ALL-ACC MEN'S SOCCER TEAMS ANNOUNCED". ACC Men's Soccer. Archived from the original on November 19, 2015. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "2013 Carolina Dynamo stats". USLPDL.com. Premier Development League. Archived from the original on April 2, 2015. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "U23S win NPSL Championship". newyorkredbulls.com. Retrieved August 3, 2014.
- "Red Bulls sign Homegrown Player Sean Davis to MLS contract for 2015 season". NewYorkRedBulls.com. New York Red Bulls Communications. December 11, 2014. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "MATCH RECAP: Red Bulls II 4, Toronto FC II 1". NewYorkRedBulls.com. New York Red Bulls Communications. April 4, 2015. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "IMPRESSIVE PERFORMANCE Red Bulls II roll over Toronto FC II, 4–1". BigAppleSoccer.com. Archived from the original on September 23, 2015. Retrieved April 4, 2015.
- "MATCH RECAP: New York Red Bulls 2, San Jose Earthquakes 0". newyorkredbulls.com. Retrieved April 17, 2015.
- "MATCH RECAP: New York Red Bulls 3, Atlanta Silverbacks 0". Retrieved June 17, 2015.
- "New York Red Bulls 4, Chelsea 2: Sean Davis scores brace as Red Bulls shock Premier League champs". mlssoccer.com. Retrieved July 22, 2015.
- "SEAN DAVIS: Chipotle MLS Homegrown Game recap". Retrieved July 29, 2015.
- "New York Red Bulls win 2015 MLS Supporters' Shield". MLSSoccer.com.
- "POST-GAME NOTES: New York Red Bulls 2, LA Galaxy 2". NewYorkRedBulls.com.
- "New York Red Bulls 3, Montreal Impact 1". mlssoccer.com.
- "2016 Team of the Week (Wk 23): BWP breaks record as Red Bulls get huge win". mlssoccer.com.
- "Sean Davis 24 Under 24". mlssoccer.com.
- "New York Red Bulls 5, San Jose Earthquakes 1 – 2017 MLS Match Recap". mlssoccer.com.
- "Second-Half Surge Paces New York Past Orlando, 3–1". newyorkredbulls.com.
- "Post-Match Notes: Red Bulls Defeat CD Olimpia, 2–0; Face Tijuana in CCL Quarterfinals". NewYorkRedBulls.com. March 1, 2018. Retrieved March 1, 2018.
- "Robles, Wright-Phillips help Red Bulls to historic win at Tijuana". ESPN.com. March 7, 2018. Retrieved March 7, 2018.
- "RBNY dispatch "explosive" Atletico Pantoja in CCL, turn focus to Santos". NewYorkRedBulls.com.
- "US Under-17 Mens National Team". ussoccer.com.[permanent dead link]