Scott Davies (footballer, born 1987)
Davies playing for Fleetwood Town in 2012
|Full name||Scott David Davies|
|Date of birth||23 February 1987|
|Place of birth||Blackpool, England|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|2014||→ Morecambe (loan)||10||(0)|
|2015||→ Accrington Stanley (loan)||19||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17:49, 1 January 2018 (UTC).
Davies began his career at Morecambe in the Conference Premier. In 2010, he moved to local rival Fleetwood. He spent time on loan at Morecambe in his fourth season, before spending half of the season at Fleetwood's other local rival Accrington Stanley in 2015.
Playing in the position of goalkeeper, he was a product of the club's Youth Academy, making the step up in 2005. Davies then had a trial period at Crewe Alexandra during the summer of 2006; however, a deal broke down when a transfer fee could not be agreed.
First team debutEdit
His debut in a competitive first team match for Morecambe came in the 1–0 Football League Trophy defeat at home to Bradford City on 22 November 2005, coming on in the second half as substitute for Ryan Robinson, who suffered an injury.
2006–07 Conference National play-offsEdit
On 7 May 2007, during Morecambe's Conference National play-off semi-final second leg match at home to York City, fellow Morecambe goalkeeper Steven Drench fouled York City's Clayton Donaldson in the 19th minute and conceded a penalty kick, Drench also suffered a major injury during this collision and Davies was forced to come to face the penalty, which Steve Bowey converted, leaving Morecambe 1–0 down on aggregate, but two goals from Wayne Curtis put Morcambe through to the final, winning 2–1 on aggregate. Drench was ruled out of the Final, so Sammy McIlroy signed Preston North End goalkeeper Chris Neal on a short-term loan to provide cover and competition for Davies.
On 20 May 2007 Davies was picked in the starting line up ahead of Neal for the 2007 Conference National play-off Final at Wembley Stadium against Exeter City. The game did not start well for Davies and Morecambe though when Lee Phillips scored in the eighth minute, but when the game progressed both Davies and Morecambe improved their performance, with Davies showing some good shot stopping skills and Morecambe scoring first Garry Thompson in the 42nd minute and Danny Carlton who scored a late goal in the 82nd minute. Davies came under pressure in the closing stages of the match, but kept his cool and did not let the ball into the net. The final score was Exeter City 1–2 Morecambe, with Morecambe earning promotion to the Football League for the first time in the club's 87-year history.
On 11 July 2007 Ronnie Jepson confirmed that the young goalkeeper was on trial at Gillingham with a view to a permanent deal, but after Jepson signed goalkeeper Derek Stillie for Gillingham, Davies returned to Christie Park and signed a new one-year contract with the Football League newcomers. On 1 March 2008, Davies made his Football League debut in the 4–0 defeat to Grimsby Town. On 3 June 2010 he left Morecambe to seek regular first team football.
In June 2010 Davies signed for newly promoted Conference team Fleetwood Town. He was born and raised and lives near to Fleetwood, and went to high school in Fleetwood. He made his debut in a 1–1 draw against Crawley Town when Danny Hurst dislocated his shoulder in the second minute. He replaced Hurst and played in the 4–1 win over Kettering Town. Hurst left Fleetwood at the end of 2010–11 season and Davies replaced him as Fleetwood's number one choice goalkeeper.
- Hugman, Barry J., ed. (2010). The PFA Footballers' Who's Who 2010–11. Edinburgh: Mainstream Publishing. p. 108. ISBN 978-1-84596-601-0.
- Mention of Crewe Alexandra trial, 30 June 2006: Vitalfootball.
- Scott Davies profile at Morecambe F.C..
- "Morecambe 2–1 York (2–1 agg)". BBC Sport. 7 May 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2007.
- "Morecambe bring in keeper on loan". BBC Sport. 14 May 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2007.
- "Exeter 1–2 Morecambe". BBC Sport. 20 May 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2007.
- "Davies on trial with the Gills". BBC Sport. 11 July 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2007.
- "Shrimps keeper signs new contract". BBC Sport. 30 July 2007. Retrieved 30 July 2007.
- "Morecambe 0–4 Grimsby". BBC Sport. 1 March 2008. Retrieved 1 March 2008.
- "Fleetwood Town sign ex-Morecambe keeper Scott Davies". BBC Sport. 24 June 2010. Retrieved 5 February 2011.
- "Scott Davies: Tranmere sign Fleetwood goalkeeper". BBC Sport. 30 June 2015. Retrieved 29 August 2015.