Scott Coker (born October 3, 1962) is a South Korean-born American martial artist, Taekwondoin, former movie stuntman, and combat sports promoter. He is the founder and former CEO of MMA promotion Strikeforce and the current President of Bellator MMA.
|Born||October 3, 1962|
|Occupation||Bellator MMA President|
|Known for||Strikeforce Founder and CEO|
Scott Coker was born in Seoul in 1962. His father, an American from Tennessee, had arrived in Korea shortly after the Korean War. He met Scott's mother, a Korean, while she was singing at a USO club. They married in December 1959. When he was approximately 9 years old, Scott and his family relocated to the United States, where they settled in San Jose, California in 1973.
Coker is an Ernie Reyes protégé and full-contact fight promoter covering Kickboxing, K-1, and MMA. Coker has obtained an 8th degree black belt in Taekwondo under Reyes and was an original member of the West Coast Demonstration Team. In 1986, Scott Coker became one of the first directors of ISKA.
Mixed martial artsEdit
Coker founded Strikeforce in 1985 as a kickboxing organization.
The promotion held its first MMA event, Strikeforce: Shamrock vs. Gracie, on March 10, 2006, at the HP Pavilion in San Jose, California. Over the next five years, Coker built the brand into the number two mixed martial arts promotion in the United States, partnering with both Showtime and CBS to televise their events. Strikeforce co-promoted some events with Elite Xtreme Combat, or EliteXC.
- Combat Press
- 2015 Executive of the Year
- Bellator MMA [@BellatorMMA] (3 October 2016). "RT to wish #BellatorMMA President @ScottCoker a Happy Birthday!" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "About ISKA curtain". www.iska.org.uk.
- "Scott Coker the man behind Strikeforce's curtain". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved 2016-04-29.
- Sherdog.com. "Sherdog Fight Finder". Sherdog.com. Retrieved 2009-02-08.
- "Zuffa purchases Strikeforce". mmafighting.com. 2011-03-12.
- "With Zuffa contract complete, former Strikeforce boss plans to travel, not promote". mmajunkie.com. 2014-04-23.
- "Former Strikeforce head Scott Coker named Bellator MMA president". mmajunkie.com. 2014-06-18. Retrieved 2014-06-18.
- Justyn Likes. "Combat Press 2015 MMA Awards: Executive of the Year – Bellator MMA President Scott Coker". Combat Press. Retrieved January 1, 2016.