The Schwarz Group is a family-owned multinational retail group that operates grocery shops under the Lidl and Kaufland brands. It is the largest European retailer and the fourth-largest retailer in the world by revenue. The group operates supermarkets in most European countries and is currently expanding in the United States. A planned market entry to Australia was cancelled on short notice. The Schwarz Group stores sell mostly private label brands and Schwarz group also operates own production facilities for baking goods, softdrinks or ice cream.
|Europe and US|
|Klaus Gehrig (CEO) Dieter Schwarz (Owner)|
|Revenue||€ 113.3 billion (FY 2019/20)|
Number of employees
|458,000 (FY 2019/20)|
Schwarz Group is headquartered in Neckarsulm, Baden-Württemberg, Germany. It was founded by Dieter Schwarz and achieved a turnover of € 113.3 billion in the fiscal year 2019/2020. The Schwarz Group is a leading international trading company with 458,000 employees and operated over 12,500 stores in 2020 across 33 countries. It is made up of the two retail divisions Lidl and Kaufland. In addition to the retail business, the Schwarz Group has continuously expanded its portfolio to include production capacities for food. These include own brands in the beverages, baked goods, sweets and ice cream sector. The Schwarz Group has been involved in the collection, sorting and recycling of recyclable materials for many years. The sales brand PreZero is the group-wide disposal and recycling service provider for this.
- "Retail Index". Retrieved 2020-08-06.
- "10 biggest retailers in the world". Retrieved 2020-08-06.
- "Schwarz Gruppe - Mutterkonzern von Lidl und Kaufland verzeichnet kräftiges Umsatzplus" (in German). Handelsblatt. 2020-07-31. Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- "Lidl-Mutterkonzern steigt in das Geschäft ein mit dem Müll". Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- "PreZero Website". Retrieved 2020-11-10.
- "Dieter Schwarz Stiftung". Retrieved 2020-08-06.