Scandinavian migration to Britain is a phenomenon that has occurred at different periods over the past 1,200 years. Over the last couple of centuries, there has been regular migration from Scandinavia to Great Britain, from families looking to settle, businesspeople, academics to migrant workers, particularly those in the oil industry.
A study into the Scandinavian ancestry of British peoples found that there is evidence of particular concentrations in the Isle of Man, Shetland and Orkney; and to a lesser degree, in the Western Isles of Scotland and in the Wirral, West Lancashire, Cumbria and Yorkshire in England.
In more recent estimates by the Office for National Statistics, Sweden was the only Scandinavian country to feature in the top 60 foreign countries of birth of UK residents in 2013, with an estimated 27,000 people.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2015)
The table below includes Britons with significant recent Nordic ancestry.
|Name||Image (If available)||Ancestry||Occupation|
|Jacob Aagaard||Denmark||Danish born Scottish Grandmaster of Chess|
|Alexandra of Denmark||Denmark||Queen of the United Kingdom, consort of Edward VII, King of the United Kingdom and Emperor of India|
|Sir Ove Arup||Denmark||English engineer, founder of Arup|
|Elynor and Zoe Bäckstedt||Sweden||Welsh racing cyclists, daughters of Swedish racing cyclist Magnus Bäckstedt|
|Richard Ayoade||Norway||English Comedian and actor with a Norwegian mother.|
|Tom Blomqvist||Sweden||racing driver, son of Swedish rally driver Stig Blomqvist|
|W. D. Caröe||Denmark||architect|
|Sophie Dahl||Norway||fashion model and granddaughter of Roald Dahl|
|Camilla Dallerup||Denmark||ballroom dancer, a former professional on BBC One's Strictly Come Dancing|
|Britt Ekland||Sweden||actress and Bond Girl|
|Johan Eliasch||Sweden||UK-based businessman,chairman & CEO of sporting goods manufacturer Head and Party deputy treasurer of the Conservative Party|
|Mariella Frostrup||Norway||journalist and radio and television presenter|
|Charles Hambro||Denmark||banker and politician, part of the Hambros Banking dynasty|
|Gustav Holst||Sweden||English composer and was a music teacher best known for his orchestral suite The Planets|
|Ashley Jensen||Denmark||Scottish actress|
|Ulrika Jonsson||Sweden||television personality|
|Jonas Kellgren||Sweden||first professor of rheumatology in the UK|
|Felix Kjellberg||Sweden||Swedish YouTuber who moved to Brighton.|
|Magnus Lund||Norway||English rugby union player|
|John Lundstram||Norway||English footballer|
|Magnus Magnusson||Iceland||television presenter, notably for the BBC's Mastermind & novelist|
|Sally Magnusson||Iceland||news presenter and daughter of Magnus Magnusson|
|Rosita Spencer-Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough||Sweden||artist and noblewoman|
|Jan Mølby||Denmark||former professional footballer who spent much of his career at Liverpool F.C.|
|Kirsten O'Brien||Norway||TV presenter|
|Hans Rausing||Sweden||billionaire heir to the Tetra Pak/Tetra Laval dynasty|
|Christian Salvesen||Norway||shipowner and businessman|
|Edward Theodore Salvesen||Norway||Scottish lawyer, politician and judge|
|Peter Schmeichel||Denmark||former Manchester United goalkeeper and whose son Kasper spent his childhood in Manchester|
|Nicholas Ashley-Cooper, 12th Earl of Shaftesbury||Sweden||peer and runner|
|Steve Simonsen||Denmark||English goalkeeper|
|Rupert Svendsen-Cook||Norway||English Formula BMW UK race car driver|
|Christian Wolmar||Sweden||journalist, author, and railway historian|
|Patrick Wymark||Finland||English actor|
- Excavating Past Population Structures by Surname-Based Sampling: The Genetic Legacy of the Vikings in Northwest England
- Goodacre, S; Helgason, A; Nicholson, J; Southam, L; Ferguson, L; Hickey, E; Vega, E; Stefánsson, K; Ward, R; Sykes, B (2005). "Genetic evidence for a family-based Scandinavian settlement of Shetland and Orkney during the Viking periods". Heredity. 95 (2): 129–135. doi:10.1038/sj.hdy.6800661. PMID 15815712.
- "Gene geography: Do you have Viking ancestry in your DNA?". Wellcome Trust. 2004. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- Branagan, Mark (30 January 2009). "'Time team' to seek out genetic secrets of Yorkshire's Viking past". Yorkshire Post. Retrieved 9 January 2010.
- "Country-of-birth database". Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Retrieved 23 April 2015.
- "Estimated overseas-born population resident in the United Kingdom by sex, by country of birth (Table 1.4)". Office for National Statistics. 28 August 2014. Retrieved 23 April 2015. Figure given is the central estimate. See the source for 95 per cent confidence intervals.