Nirmala Nagpal, popularly known as Saroj Khan (born 22 November 1948) is one of the most prominent Indian dance choreographers in Hindi cinema. She choreographed more than 2000 songs. Saroj Khan was born at Bombay State (current day Maharashtra), India. She is married. In April 2018, she made statements in support of "Casting couch", and said that "at-least film industry gives work, doesn’t rape and abandon" .
On the sets of Nachle Ve with Saroj Khan
22 November 1948
Bombay, Bombay State, India
Born Nirmala, her parents migrated to India after partition of India. She started her career as a child artist at the age of three with the film Nazarana as child Shyama, and a background dancer in the late 1950s. She learnt dance while working under film choreographer B. Sohanlal. Later, she herself shifted to choreography, first as an assistant choreographer and later getting her break as an independent choreographer, with Geeta Mera Naam (1974). However, she had to wait many years to receive acclaim, which came with her work with Sri Devi; Hawa Hawai in Mr India (1987), Nagina (1986) and Chandni (1989), and later with Madhuri Dixit, starting with the hit Ek Do Teen in Tezaab (1988), Tamma Tamma Loge in Thanedaar (1990) and Dhak Dhak Karne Laga in Beta (1992). Thereafter, she went on to become one of the most successful Bollywood choreographers.
Saroj Khan appeared on a reality dance show as a member of the jury in 2005 Nach Baliye, which aired on STAR One along with two other judges. She also appeared in the second season of the same show. She has recently been a judge for the show Ustaadon Ka Ustaad, which is aired on Sony Entertainment Television (India). She appeared on the 2008 show Nachle Ve with Saroj Khan, which was aired on NDTV Imagine. She choreographed for this show. She appeared on Sony's Boogie Woogie (TV series) show from December 2008 as one of the judges, along with Javed Jaffrey, Naved Jaffrey and Ravi Behl. She was a judge on the third season of a popular show – Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa, which began on 27 February 2009 and was aired on Sony Entertainment Television (India) alongside former Nach Baliye judge Vaibhavi Merchant and actress Juhi Chawla.
She is judging the dance reality show Nachle Ve with Saroj Khan. She has hosted and completed Nachle Ve with Saroj Khan.
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns (2015)
- Gulaab Gang (2014)
- ABCD: Any Body Can Dance (2012)
- Rowdy Rathore (2012)
- Agent Vinod (2012)
- Khatta Meetha (2010)
- Life Partner (2009)
- Love Aaj Kal (2009)
- Delhi-6 (2009)
- Jab We Met (2007) (Won the National Film Award for Best Choreography)
- Namastey London (2007)
- Guru (2007) (Won the Filmfare Award for Best Choreography)
- Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal (2007)
- Saawariya (2007)
- Don - The Chase Begins Again (2006)
- Fanaa (2006)
- Mangal Pandey: The Rising (2005)
- Sringaram (2005) (Tamil language|Tamil) Won the National Film Award for Best Choreography
- Veer-Zaara (2004)
- Swades (2004)
- Kuch Naa Kaho (2004)
- Saathiya (2002)
- Devdas (2002) Won the Filmfare Award for Best Choreography & National Film Award
- Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001) Won the Filmfare Award for Best Choreography & National Film Award
- Fiza (2000)
- Taal (1999)
- Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam (1999) Won the Filmfare Award for Best Choreography & National Film Award & American Choreography Award
- Soldier (1998)
- Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya (1997)
- Pardes (1997)
- Iruvar (1997)(Tamil)
- Khamoshi: The Musical (1996)
- Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995)
- Yaraana (1995)
- Mohra (1994)
- Anjaam (1994)
- Baazigar (1993)
- Aaina (1993)
- Darr (1993)
- Beta (1992)
- Awaargi (1990)
- Sailaab (1990)
- Chandni (1989)
- Nigahen: Nagina Part II (1989)
- Tezaab (1988)
- Kizhakku Africavil Sheela (1987) Tamil movie
- Mr India (1987)
- Nagina (1986)
- Hero (1983)
- Thai Veedu (1983) Tamil movie
- As writer
Awards and recognitionsEdit
Saroj Khan is the recipient of the most National Film Award for Best Choreography with 3 wins.
Saroj Khan was the first recipient of the filmfare Best Choreography Award. Filmfare instituted this award after watching the excellent choreography and audience response to Khan's song "Ek Do Teen" from Tezaab. Saroj Khan went onto make a hat-trick at the Filmfare awards winning consistently for 3 years from 1989 to 1991. She also holds the record for winning the most Filmfare Best Choreographer Awards, winning 8.
- 2008 – Guru
- 2003 – Devdas
- 2000 – Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
- 1994 – Khalnayak
- 1993 – Beta
- 1991 – Sailaab for the song "Humko Aaj Kal Hai Intezaar"
- 1990 – Chaalbaaz
- 1989 – Tezaab
- 2002: Outstanding Achievement in Feature Film: Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001)
- Gulzar; Govind Nihalani; Saibal Chatterjee (2003). Encyclopaedia Of Hindi Cinema. Popular Prakashan. p. 573. ISBN 978-81-7991-066-5. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "'Tamma tamma loge' got okayed in the 48th take: Saroj Khan". Times Of India. 23 May 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- Shoma A. Chatterji (28 October 2012). "Diva of Dance". The Tribune. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "Madhuri is still superb: Saroj Khan". The Times of India. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "She's the Dancing Queen". Indian Express. 1 April 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "The real 'Dhak Dhak' girl". MiD DAY. 15 June 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2013.
- "50th National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals.