Santos F.C. (South Africa)
Santos Football Club or simply Santos, also known under their sponsored title as Engen Santos, is a South African football club based in the Lansdowne suburb of the city of Cape Town that plays in the SAFA Second Division.
|Full name||Engen Santos Football Club|
|Nickname(s)||The People's Team|
|Ground||Athlone Stadium, Athlone, Cape Town|
|League||ABC Motsepe League|
The club was established in Heideveld on the Cape Flats in 1982 and was originally known as Lightbodys Santos FC, after its sponsor. During apartheid it was renowned for the insistence on non-racial inclusivity – hence the nickname The People's Team.
They played in the Federation Professional League (FPL), the only truly non-racial football body in the country from 1982 to 1990. They won the championship in 1983/4/6/7/8/90 before joining the National Soccer League.
The NSL became the PSL in 1996, with Santos earning promotion to the new league for the 1997–98 season. Santos tasted their first success in the new format of the league in 2001–02 when they surprisingly won the title under the mentorship of Gordon Igesund. This side featured players like Edries Burton, Andre Arendse, Musa Otieno and the club's all-time top goalscorer Jean-Marc Ithier. With the title win Santos became the first – and to date the only – team that was not a founder-member of the PSL to win the league.
Santos were relegated from the PSL at the end of the 2011–12 season for the first time in the club's history. After finishing 15th in the league they entered the 2011–12 PSL Playoff Tournament where they were pitted against Chippa United and Thanda Royal Zulu. Heading into their final playoff game Santos needed a win over Chippa United to maintain their PSL status but they were defeated 4–3 and subsequently relegated, with Chippa United taking their place in the PSL.
Notable former coachesEdit
- PSL Champions: 2001/02
- ABSA Cup Winners: 2003
- FPL League Champions: 1983, 84, 86, 87, 88, 90
- FPL Cup Winners: 1985, 88, 90
- Challenge Cup Winners: 1988
- Bob Save Super Bowl Winners: 2001
- BP Top 8 Winners: 2002
- Most starts: Edries Burton 409
- Most goals: Jean-Marc Ithier 70
- Most capped player: Musa Otieno
- Most starts in a season: Cassiem Mohamed 44 (1993)
- Most goals in a season: Duncan Crowie 19 (1991)
- Record victory: 6–0 v Intercity Aces (6/3/99, Bob Save Super Bowl); vs Beau West City (26/2/05, Absa Cup); vs Cemforce FC (12/3/05, Absa Cup); vs Island FC (11/3/06, Absa Cup)
- Record defeat: 1–7 v Mamelodi Sundowns (19/8/98, PSL)
Premier Soccer League recordEdit
Club officials/Technical teamEdit
First team squadEdit
As of April 6, 2015. Note: Flags indicate national team as defined under FIFA eligibility rules. Players may hold more than one non-FIFA nationality.
Shirt sponsor & kit manufacturerEdit
- Shirt sponsor: Goolam Sports
- Kit manufacturer: Winner