Santo André, São Paulo
Santo André (Portuguese pronunciation: [sɐ̃twɐ̃ˈdɾɛ], Saint Andrew) is a Brazilian municipality located in the Metropolitan Region of São Paulo. It is part of a group of municipalities known as Greater ABC Region. The population is 710,210 (2015 est.) in an area of 175.8 km².
View of the central region of Santo André, highlighting the Municipal Hall.
Location in São Paulo state
|• Mayor||Paulo Serra (PSDB)|
|• Total||175.8 km2 (67.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||700 m (2,300 ft)|
|• Density||4,000/km2 (10,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-03:00 (BRT)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-02:00 (BRST)|
|Area code||+55 11|
|HDI||0.815 – very high|
It is the 15th most developed Brazilian city, and the eighth most developed city in the State of São Paulo, according to the UN. The city is also the fifth best city in the country to raise children.
The settlement, which became a town in 1553, with the name of Santo André da Borda do Campo, experienced rapid growth beginning in the 1930s. It was originally named São Bernardo because the municipality district headquarters were in São Bernardo do Campo, now a city nearby. In 1938, the name was changed to Santo André, as the district government was transferred to Santo André. Industries include chemical engineering, textiles, oil, metal products, metallurgy and printed matter. It is an industrial city, but more than 60% of Santo André's total area are protected by environmental water laws.
In 2002 the city shot to national prominence with the assassination of serving mayor Celso Daniel, whose murder remains unsolved.
- Football Team - Esporte Clube Santo André, the football (soccer) team of the city.
- City Stadium - Estádio Bruno José Daniel - Capacity: 15,157
- Brazilian National Cup Champion in 2004, beating Flamengo in final game at Maracana Stadium in front of more than 80,000 Flamengo fans.
- Paulista 2nd Division Champions in 1967, 1975, 1981 and 2008.
- Copa Estado de São Paulo, 2003
- Copa São Paulo Under-20, 2002
- Pelé scored his first professional goal ever at Santos Futebol Clube in Santo André Stadium
- Men's Volleyball Team - Pirelli Volleyball Club
- Men's World Club Champion in 1984. Later, the team had his name changed to Shopping ABC
- Santo André due to a new sponsorship contract signed with Shopping ABC, one of the biggest malls in the city.
- Men's Basketball Team - Pinheiros Santo André - Plays Paulista League of Basketball
- Hosts national Olympic team at Pedro Dell'Antonia Gymnasium facilities.
Twin towns — sister citiesEdit
- Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística
- "Ranking decrescente do IDH-M dos municípios do Brasil" (PDF). Atlas do Desenvolvimento Humano. Programa das Nações Unidas para o Desenvolvimento (PNUD). 2010. Retrieved 31 July 2013.
- "O ranking definitivo das cidades mais desenvolvidas do país". EXAME. 8 July 2014. Retrieved 8 July 2014.
- "10 cidades mais desenvolvidas de cada estado, segundo a ONU". EXAME. 3 August 2014. Retrieved 3 August 2014.
- "As melhores e piores grandes cidades para criar seus filhos". EXAME. 2 March 2015. Retrieved 2 March 2015.
- "Cidades Irmãs". Retrieved 7 April 2015.