Santo Amaro, Bahia
Santo Amaro, also known as Santo Amaro da Purificação is a municipality in the state of Bahia in Brazil. The population is 61,702 (2015 est.) in an area of 492.9 km². It is a suburb of Salvador and it is located in the metropolitan area of Salvador.
Location in Bahia state
|Mesoregion||Metropolitana de Salvador|
|• Total||492.9 km2 (190.3 sq mi)|
|• Density||130/km2 (320/sq mi)|
|Time zone||BRT (UTC-3)|
Santo Amaro da Purificação, located about 73 kilometres (45 mi) from the city of Salvador. It was established as a center of sugarcane production. It, along with Cachoeira and Nazare, became early regional urban and economic centers of the Recôncavo region. The city has numerous historic structures as a result of its colonial past, most notably the Igreja Matriz Santo Amaro da Purificação. Other historic structures include the remains of the mansions of former sugar barons and a municipal palace built in 1769. The area is noted for its nearby beautiful beaches, the Falls of Vitória, and the grotto of Bom Jesus dos Pobres. The town features prominently in the novel The War of the Saints by Jorge Amado.
Epidemic of 1855Edit
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Santo Amaro, Bahia.|
According to the Brazilian Census of 2010, Santo Amaro is 77% Roman Catholic, 22% Evangelical, and 1% Spiritist. The statistics do not take into account Candomblé practitioners. Santo Amaro has both a large number of Candomblé terreiros (60) and a long tradition of religious syncretism between Candomblé and Roman Catholicism.
- Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística
- "Google Translate". translate.google.com. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
- Robinson, A.; Robinson, G. (2011). Brazil Handbook. Footprint. p. 400. ISBN 9781907263262. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
- Caroso, Carlos (2011). Baía de Todos os Santos : aspectos humanos. Salvador: EDUFBA. p. 217. ISBN 9788523207618.
- Priego, N.; Lozano, S.; Asociación de Historiadores Latinoamericanistas Europeos (2007). Paradigmas, culturas y saberes: la transmisión del conocimiento científico a Latinoamérica (in Portuguese). AHILA. p. 97. ISBN 9788484893295. Retrieved 2015-05-15.
- "Síntese das informações (Bahia, Santo Amaro)" (in Portuguese). Instituto Brasileiro de Geografia e Estatística. 2016. Retrieved 2016-12-01.
|This Bahia, Brazil location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|