Santiago! is a 1970 Philippine war drama and action film directed by Lino Brocka and starring Fernando Poe Jr. and Dante Rivero. Set during World War II, the film depicts a weary guerilla, Gonzalo, who withdraws from the battlefield. The film is the second directorial assignment of Brocka following his debut offering "Wanted: Perfect Mother". The film is also the first and only collaboration of Brocka and Poe, and features a rare scene featuring FPJ shedding a tear. The film is likewise notable for being the vehicle for Hilda Koronel's acting debut which also brought her her first acting award.
Theatrical Film Poster
|Directed by||Lino Brocka|
|Produced by||Emilia Santos Blas|
|Screenplay by||Lino Brocka|
|Story by||Lino Brocka|
|Music by||Doming Valdez|
|Edited by||Felizardo V. Samson|
|Distributed by||LEA Productions|
Set in the Philippines during the Japanese occupation, a Filipino soldier, who is guilt-ridden over an incident that killed many civilians, deserts the rebel army and retreats to a nearby barrio where he is branded as a coward.
- Fernando Poe Jr. as Gonzalo
- Dante Rivero as Celso
- Boots Anson-Roa as Lydia
- Hilda Koronel as Cristina
- Jay Ilagan as Danilo
- Caridad Sanchez as Pilar
- Mary Walter as Andang
- Ruben Rustia as Capt. Santos
- Joonee Gamboa as Desto
- Mario O'Hara as Diego
- Mildred Ortega as Celso's sister
- Cecilia Bulaong as Celso's sister
- Lily Gamboa as Celso's sister
- Corazon Noble as Celso's mother
- Marzya Ilagan as Daughter of Makapili
- Celeste Legaspi as Daughter of Makapili
- Lorli Villanueva as Villager
- Angie Ferro as Villager
- Silvestre Tecson as Villager
- Ursula Carlos as Villager
- Rosa Santos as Villager
- Inday de la Cruz as Villager
- Tina Lava as Villager
- Luis Benedicto as Celso's father
- Pons de Guzman as Makapili
- Fred Esplana as Japanese/Guerillas
- Burke Perdiz as Japanese/Guerillas
- Ely Perez as Japanese/Guerillas
- Roland Falcis as Japanese/Guerillas
- SOS Daredevils as Japanese/Guerillas
Awards and nominationsEdit
|1971 FAMAS Awards|
|Best Supporting Actress||Hilda Koronel||Won|
|Best Actor||Fernando Poe Jr.||Nominated|
|Best Supporting Actor||Jay Ilagan||Nominated|
- Vera, Noel (2005). Critic After Dark: A Review Of Philippine Cinema. Manila: BigO Books. ISBN 9789810531850.
- Hilanga, Dennis Christian (19 August 2019). "'Hindi ka na sisikatan ng araw': 11 memorable FPJ lines". Libre. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- Da King. News5. 24 March 2017. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- Torre, Nestor U. (26 March 2018). "'Necessary' contradictions in Lino Brocka's career arc". Inquirer. Retrieved 20 November 2019.
- Bautista, Mario E. (12 December 2003). "...and mellows in the process". The Philippine Star. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "Santiago! (1970): Storyline". IMDb.com. Retrieved 14 November 2019.
- "FAMAS Awards (1971)". IMDb. Retrieved 14 November 2019.