Santa Fe High School (New Mexico)
Santa Fe High School is an American preparatory secondary school located in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The institution was established in 1899 and is the oldest secondary school in the state. It was founded in the oldest state capital in America, founded in 1610.
|Santa Fe High School|
|2100 Yucca St.
Santa Fe, New Mexico, 87505
|Type||Public secondary high school|
|School district||Santa Fe Public Schools|
|Color(s)||Royal blue Santa Fe gold|
|Rivals||St. Michael's High School
Capital High School (Santa Fe, New Mexico)
Notable graduates include Zach Condon, creator and leading member of the indie folk band Beirut, and the youngest Mayor of Santa Fe, George Abrán Gonzales, who is also the father of the current mayor, Javier Gonzales.
Santa Fe High School was established in 1899 by the merchant, politician, and Governor Miguel Antonio Otero. It is the second oldest of the three Santa Fe public high schools. The school was originally located downtown, one block from the Plaza in the space where City Hall and the Convention Center currently sit. The new location on a hilltop above Yucca and Siringo roads was built and opened in 1966 where students slowly transitioned until the downtown campus was officially closed in 1977.
The school is a part of U.S Department of Education's Green Ribbon Program and Sustainable Santa Fe. Santa Fe High has installed numerous solar panels that partially supply the energy of the campus.
Santa Fe High School is a participating school in NM District 2-AAAAAA of the New Mexico Activities Association. The school has won over 28 state championships from NMAA sanctioned sports and events.The school's most dominant program was its cross country team in the late 70s and early 80s under coach John Alire, winning twelve state title trophies during this span.
St Michael's High School is a traditional sporting rival, dating back more than 100 years.
New Mexico State Champions Varsity sport Year: Cross country, boys' (Class AAAA) 1974, 1975, 1976, 1978, 1979, 1980 Cross country, girls' (Class AAAA) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986 Volleyball (Class AAAA) 1978, 1983, 1994 Football  1979 (13-1, Class AAAA) Basketball, boys' 1978 (28-2, Class AAAA) Basketball, girls' 1988 (20-6, Class AAAA), 2014 (30-2, Class AAAA) Baseball 1977 (Class AAAA) Tennis, girls' 1994, 1995, 1997 (tie) (Class AAAA) Golf, boys' 1976 (Class AAAA) Golf, girls' 1985 (Class AAAA) Track & field, boys' 1992 Runner-Up (Class AAAA) Track & field, girls' 2014 Runner-Up (Class AAAA)
- Zach Condon, creator and leading member of the indie folk band Beirut
- George Abrán Gonzales, Mayor of Santa Fe (1968–1972); Santa Fe High School Senior class president
- Leroy Petry, the second living person to receive the United States Armed Forces' highest decoration for valor, the Medal of Honor, for actions that occurred since the Vietnam War
- "US News & World Report".
- "Santa Fe High oldest school in the three public secondary schools in New Mexico".
- "Santa Fe - The City Different (History of Santa Fe, Nm)". www.legendsofamerica.com. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
- "About Santa Fe | City of Santa Fe, New Mexico". www.santafenm.gov. Retrieved 2016-02-13.
- "Santa Fe High School Educates 9th-12th".
- "Class Info: Santa Fe High".
- "Santa Fe Public Schools - Official Website - Comprehensive High School Redesign". www.sfps.info. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "Santa Fe High AP Program".
- "Recycling at Santa Fe Schools".
- "Sustainability in Santa Fe High School".
- "Santa Fe High in SANTA FE, NM | Best High Schools | US News". www.usnews.com. Retrieved 2016-01-02.
- "NMAA" (PDF).
- "Santa Fe High now 6A".
- "NMAA XC-Boys" (PDF).
- "NMAA XC-Girls" (PDF).
- "NMAA Volleyball" (PDF).
- "NMAA Football" (PDF).
- "NMAA BB-Boys" (PDF).
- "NMAA BB-Girls" (PDF).
- "NMAA Beisbol" (PDF).
- "NMAA Tennis-Girls" (PDF).
- "NMAA Golf-Boys" (PDF).
- "NMAA Golf-Girls" (PDF).
- Last, T.S. (2015-03-24). "Former Santa Fe mayor George Gonzales has died at age 77". Albuquerque Journal. Retrieved 2015-07-03.