Santa Barbara Unified School District(Redirected from Santa Barbara Middle School)
The Santa Barbara Unified School District is the main public school district that serves Santa Barbara and Goleta, California. On January 12, 2011, the board of education unanimously approved a resolution to reorganize the Santa Barbara Elementary and Secondary School Districts into a single unified school district. The changeover began July 1, 2011.
|Santa Barbara Unified School District|
|Established||June 6, 1866|
|Students and staff|
|Teachers' unions||Santa Barbara Teachers Association|
California Teachers Association
Because the state provides a fiscal incentive for school district that unify, unification will result in $6 million of ongoing revenue the Santa Barbara Unified School District.
First attempts at creating public schools began in Santa Barbara after the founding of the Presidio in the 1790s, with mixed success. But as Robert Christian wrote in his thesis on the history of the district, "...on June 6, 1866, the Santa Barbara School District was formed. The schools were no longer administered by the County Superintendent, but in complete control of the electorate of the city. In 1866, Alpheus B. Thompson, County Superintendent reported that there were three school districts in the County: San Buenaventura, Montecito, and Santa Barbara. The census showed that there were 1,243 children between the ages of five and fifteen residing in the County, with only 325 pupils enrolled in schools, plus forty-one enrolled in private schools. Each district had two schools, with the length of the school year varying from three to five months. The teachers’ salaries varied from $30 to $50 per month, with the Santa Barbara district paying a total of $1,165.25."
- César Chávez Charter
- Open Alternative
- Peabody Charter
- Santa Barbara Charter School
- "News - Tuesday, October 19, 2010". Santa Barbara School Districts. Archived from the original on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "2010-11 Combined Districts Budget" (PDF). Santa Barbara School Districts. 2010. Archived from the original (PDF) on 19 July 2011. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "Santa Barbara School District Benefits, Salaries Below Average, Noozhawk Review Finds". Noozhawk. 29 March 2010. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- "Contrary to Perception, Santa Barbara School District Not Top Heavy with Salaries, Staff". Noozhawk. 21 February 2010. Retrieved 22 October 2010.
- ""Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-11-23. Retrieved 2012-01-16. School district’s name change goes into effect>
- Christian, Robert (January 1963). A Study of the Historical Development of the Santa Barbara School District (PDF). p. 30.