Sant'Angelo a Cupolo
Sant'Angelo a Cupolo is a comune (municipality) in the Province of Benevento in the Italian region Campania, located about 50 km northeast of Naples and about 8 km south of Benevento. As of 31 December 2004, it had a population of 4,262 and an area of 10.9 km2.
Sant'Angelo a Cupolo
|Comune di Sant'Angelo a Cupolo|
Sant'Angelo within the Province of Benevento
|Province||Province of Benevento (BN)|
|Frazioni||Bagnara, Cardilli, Maccoli, Medina, Montorsi, Motta, Panelli, Pastene, Perrillo, San Marco ai Monti, Sciarra|
|• Total||10.9 km2 (4.2 sq mi)|
|• Density||390/km2 (1,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The emblem of the municipality, as has been permitted by the Decree of the Council in 1958, consists of two branches, one is an oak with acorns and another is a bay tree with berries, that cross into each other below the point of the shield and are tied with a ribbon coloured in green, white and red. The emblem represents the dignity and the honour of a municipality, of a province and of a region.
The standard of the municipality is made of a light blue drape decorated with silver embroideries and an image of the emblem with the inscription: COMUNE DI SANT'ANGELO A CUPOLO.
Sant'Angelo a Cupolo borders the following municipalities: Benevento, Ceppaloni, Chianche, San Leucio del Sannio, San Martino Sannita and San Nicola Manfredi. The municipality counts the hamlets (frazioni) of Bagnara, Cardilli, Maccoli, Medina, Montorsi, Motta, Panelli, Pastene, Perrillo, San Marco ai Monti and Sciarra.
• Bagnara is the one located at the southernmost point, on the border with Avellino, separated from the rest of the territory of Sant'Angelo a Cupolo by Pagliara, which is a part of the municipality of San Nicola Manfredi.
• Cardilli is a small hilly hamlet. Its name probably comes from the surname Cardillo, which was and still is today prevalent in this territory.
• Maccoli and Panelli are the smallest ones, but are considered as the ones characterised by the most beautiful landscapes.
• Montorsi is divided in two parts, Montorsi and Montorsi valle, linked to each other by a curvy path. The patron of this hamlet is the martyr San Donato, celebrated on August the 7th.
• Motta is divided in two parts, Motta and Motta valle. The patronal celebration is the 5th of August, in honour of the Madonna della Neve.
• Perrillo is a hamlet inhabited by 1.200 people so far situated at 3 km south of Benevento.
• San Marco ai Monti is especially known for its Belvedere del Sannio, a panoramic viewpoint from which is possible to enjoy the view of almost all the territory of Benevento.
Monuments and places of interestEdit
Convento dei LiguoriniEdit
The main monument of Sant'Angelo a Cupolo is the convent, built in 1775 on a little hill. At first headquarter of novitiate, later became a rest home. On the inside is possible to enjoy the chapel of Sant'Alfonso. The façade was expanded in 1925.
Cappella di San MicheleEdit
Near the cemetery can be found the Cappella di San Michele, probably built around the half of the XVI century.
Chiesa dei Santi Angelo e LeonardoEdit
The church is characterised by the presence of the statue of San Michele from the XVI century and two fine frescoes: the one on the left of the altar is by Liborius Pizzella. In this building is present as well a painting depicting the Madonna del Latte.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
Media related to Sant'Angelo a Cupolo at Wikimedia Commons