Sansar (video game)
This article needs to be updated.(November 2017)
Sansar is a social virtual reality platform developed and owned by the San Francisco-based firm Linden Lab and launched in “creator beta” to the general public on July 31, 2017. The platform enables user-created 3D spaces where people can create and share interactive social experiences, such as playing games, watching videos, and having conversations in VR. Each participant is represented by a detailed avatar that is the graphical representation of the user including speech-driven facial animations and motion-driven body animations.
|Initial release||July 31, 2017|
In 2015, more details about the project became public including its positioning as a social virtual reality platform. While the product name had not yet been made public, media reports initially referred to the initiative by its internal development codename Project Sansar. By the end of the same year, a small number of 3D content creators were invited to participate in an early alpha version.
As development progressed in 2016, more invites were extended to a larger pool of creators for access to the “creator preview” version of what would soon be officially branded Sansar. Availability to the general public began in 2017 with the debut of the “creator beta.” 
Like Second Life, Sansar has its own virtual economy and unit of trade. Sansar users can buy and sell virtual creations using the "Sansar dollar" (S$). Sansar dollars can be purchased online via the Sansar Dollar Exchange (SandeX) or earned by selling items in the Sansar Store. While the virtual economy of Sansar is still in its infancy, many observers compare its eventual potential to Second Life’s robust economy which in 2016 saw $500 million in user-to-user transactions and about $60 million taken home by creators.
- Fink, Charlie (July 31, 2017). "Sansar Ignites Content Boom". Forbes. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Takahashi, Dean (November 17, 2014). "Linden Lab Explores VR for its Next-Generation Virtual World". VentureBeat. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Kelly, Heather (September 15, 2015). "Company Behind Second Life Building Virtual Reality Universe". CNN. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Robertson, Adi (August 18, 2015). "The VR Successor to Second Life is Inviting its First Testers". The Verge. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Roettgers, Janko (August 31, 2016). "Second Life Maker Starts Inviting Creators to Project Sansar Virtual Reality World". Variety. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Summers, Nick (July 31, 2017). "The VR Successor to 'Second Life' is Now in Public Beta". Engadget. Retrieved 2017-11-09.
- Carbotte, Kevin (January 4, 2017). "Linden Lab Introduces Sansar Monetization System, Reveals First Video Footage". Tom's Hardware. Retrieved 2017-11-09.