Sanjoy Deb (born December 18, 1991), known primarily by his stage name Sanjoy, is a Bangladeshi–American musician, electronic music producer and DJ. He primarily produces in the EDM genre, and is influenced by Bollywood. Sanjoy grew up and began his career in San Jose, California. His primary focus is in English Electronic Dance Music.
|Birth name||Sanjoy Deb|
|Born||December 18, 1991|
|Origin||San Jose, California, US|
|Genres||EDM, electro house, dance-pop, electropop|
|Occupation(s)||Producer, DJ, musician, music director|
|Associated acts||GOT7, Colby O'Donis, Elliott Yamin, Sid Sriram, Jonita Gandhi, Arjun, Mickey Singh|
Sanjoy's best known musical piece to date is the song Shangri-La, which has charted on US Top 40 and dance radio. In 2017, he released "OBVI" featuring American Idol singer Elliott Yamin. He featured Got7's Youngjae in the song Victim of Love.
Life and career beginningEdit
Sanjoy Deb was born in Dhaka, Bangladesh and raised in San Jose, California to Sylheti parents from Srimangal. He attended Evergreen Valley High School and De Anza College and graduated from San Jose State University with a degree in business. Sanjoy began his musical career working with his partner and executive producer Kunal Agarwal.
Under the name 'Sanjoy', Deb has produced a wide variety of Electro-Pop Music, and previously produced Bollywood film songs.
2011–2014: Bollywood mash-ups, "Ab Laut Aa"Edit
Sanjoy began his professional music career in 2011 with a series of mash-ups and remixes that were well received in the Indian-American community. The cultural connection between Indian-Americans and Bollywood music had resulted in niche audiences who were very interested in remixed Hindi film music for dance performances and videos. His first mash-up "Chammak Challo" featured dancers from the UC Berkeley dance team, Azaad, and built his core audience of Bollywood-EDM listeners who were connected to the dance team circuit. He later released another video and mash-up called Love the Pressure, which further engaged those of Indian descent worldwide.
His first original music video was called "Tonight I Believe" (2012). The track received lots of attention across the Internet, but because of the negative response and criticism with the vocals, it was promptly pulled from YouTube. Deb also released an unofficial remix of Swedish House Mafia's "Don't You Worry Child".
In 2013, Sanjoy produced a single for the well-known Indian singer Sunidhi Chauhan. Their collaboration Ab Laut Aa was well-received, especially due to the topic of the music video on the prevalence of gender discrimination and rape in India. He subsequently released a reprise version featuring Gaurav Dagaonkar as the vocalist & songwriter.
2014–2016: T-Series deal, Dance Under the InfluenceEdit
The 'Ab Laut Aa' collaboration ultimately propelled Sanjoy through a series of production opportunities with various Hindi film music directors, such as Pritam and Salim-Sulaiman. Some of these projects included Shaadi Ki Side Effects, and Bajrangi Bhaijaan
The well-established label T-Series also signed a multi-single deal with Sanjoy to remix well-known Bollywood songs, in his distinct mash-up style. There are two released mash-ups with T-Series, Tum Hi Ho and Gumshuda. Both songs retain the original singers but have been remixed into an electro-pop dance record. Tum Hi Ho draws influences from Swedish House Mafia's Greyhound.
In 2016, Sanjoy began to release a series of English songs, each featuring a well-known Bollywood singer. His track "Don't Funk With Me" with Benny Dayal broke the ice on his English music. His next track released in February, named "Completed Me", featuring Aditi Singh Sharma. This compilation resulted in his album, Dance Under the Influence.
The front single for Dance Under the Influence, Slip Away, introduced the American Idol nominee Trevor Holmes as his first collaboration and single. The music video features Sanjoy at one of his live shows in Santa Cruz. 
2016–2018: Further collaborations, PORT22 distribution through Sony REDEdit
2017's single Obvi featured the American Idol Elliott Yamin, of "Wait for You" fame. The track was recorded in a untitled Sherman Oaks studio owned by Russell Ali.  Released by PORT22 (Sanjoy and Kunal Agarwal's label), it debuted on Top 40 radio and was one of the biggest movers on Shazam.  This was the first release of Sanjoy's to be distributed through Sony RED distribution. 
The track gained the attention of the lead singer of the K-Pop group, Got7, Youngjae. Fans of Youngjae connected Sanjoy with the K-Pop and his music through social media. The friendly meeting and instant connection led to the collaboration, Victim of Love, which was recorded in New York while they were both on holiday. 
The release of Victim of Love required Sanjoy to break ties with his distribution, Sony.
Sanjoy's last track of 2017, Shangri-La was by-far his most successful on Top 40 radio. It debuted on Power96 in Miami and ran through several other top market stations, including San Francisco and Las Vegas.
2018-Present: West Coast Customs, Gen-Z music producer, New ReleasesEdit
Sanjoy's studio resides in the West Coast Customs, an automobile customization shop made famous by Pimp My Ride. Much of his music is produced at the studio, and he also produces and song-writes for various artists. In particular, his specialty has been producing for social media stars popularized by YouTube, Vine, and Musically/Tik-Tok. These artists include: Jacob Sartorius, Carson Leuders, Christian Delgrosso, Sofie Dossi, and many others.
His latest releases bring a more energetic music with ethnic-focused lyric content. The first of 2019, Mumbae Bounce, featured artwork by Babbu the Painter. 
Dance Under the InfluenceEdit
|1.||"Slip Away" (featuring Trevor Holmes)||Sanjoy||3:15|
|2.||"Satellite" (featuring Jonita Gandhi)||Sanjoy||3:47|
|3.||"Why You Run" (featuring Brandon Van Duyn)||Sanjoy||4:15|
|4.||"Completed Me" (featuring Aditi Singh Sharma)||Sanjoy||2:52|
|5.||"Don't Funk With Me" (featuring Benny Dayal)||Sanjoy||3:04|
|7.||"Light" (with Natalie Hawkins)||Sanjoy||3:15|
|8.||"Barriers" (featuring Stephen Rezza)||Sanjoy||5:07|
|9.||"Lost in My Own World" (featuring Brandon Van Duyn)||Sanjoy||2:12|
|10.||"Slip Away (Extended)" (featuring Trevor Holmes)||Sanjoy||4:12|
|11.||"Why You Run (Extended)" (featuring Brandon Van Duyn)||Sanjoy||5:45|
|12.||"Don't Funk With Me (Extended)" (featuring Benny Dayal)||Sanjoy||3:56|
|13.||"Barriers (Extended)" (featuring Stephen Rezza)||Sanjoy||5:36|
|14.||"Light (Extended)" (featuring Natalie Hawkins)||Sanjoy||4:13|
As lead artistEdit
|2019||Stars||Sanjoy||Kat Nestel, Sid Sriram|
|2019||Mumbae Bounce||Sanjoy||Hazel Rose|
|2018||Him You Want||Sanjoy||Arjun|
|2017||Victim of Love||Sanjoy, Stephen Rezza||ARS (Got7 Youngjae), Stephen Rezza, Elliott Yamin|
|2016||OBVI||Sanjoy, Stephen Rezza, Russell Ali||Elliott Yamin|
|2016||Slip Away||Sanjoy, Natalie Hawkins, Stephen Rezza||Trevor Holmes|
|2016||Completed Me||Sanjoy, Natalie Hawkins, Stephen Rezza||Aditi Singh Sharma|
|2016||Don't Funk With Me||Sanjoy, Natalie Hawkins, Stephen Rezza||Benny Dayal|
|2014||Set Me Free||Sanjoy, Natalie Hawkins, Stephen Rezza||Natalie Hawkins|
|2013||Ab Laut Aa (Reprise)||Niranjan Iyengar||Gaurav Dagaonkar|
|2013||Ab Laut Aa||Niranjan Iyengar||Sunidhi Chauhan|
|2012||Tonight I Believe||n/a||n/a|
|2014||Shilpa||"Bombay Nights"||6 Apr 2014||N/A|
|2014||"Mashooqana" (Sanjoy Deb Remix)||Gaurav Dagaonkar||Ash King, Arunima Bhattacharya, Sanjoy Deb||Heartless|
|2014||"Tum Hi Ho" (Sanjoy Remix)||Mithoon||Sanjoy, Arijit Singh||Aashiqui 2|
|2014||"Galliyan" (Sanjoy Rebirth)||Ankit Tiwari||Sanjoy, Ankit Tiwari||Ek Villain|
|2011||"Chammak Challo (Bootleg)"||Kunal Agarwal||Kunal Agarwal||21 Jul 2011||Kunal Agarwal Productions|
|"Love the Pressure"||Justin Nguyen||Kunal Agarwal||18 November 2011|
|2012||"Tonight I Believe"
|Shayan Fakurnejad||Kunal Agarwal||9 Aug 2012|
|2013||Ab Laut Aa
(featuring Sunidhi Chauhan)
|Robert Rippberger||Kunal Agarwal||11 Apr 2013||PORT22|
|2013||Ab Laut Aa (Reprise)
(featuring Gaurav Dagaonkar)
|Kunal Agarwal||Kunal Agarwal||18 Oct 2013|
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2014||VIMA Music Awards||Ab Laut Aa – Sanjoy Deb||Best Music Video||Won|
- "Sanjoy Deb :: Tracks Beatport". Beatport.
- "Sanjoy - Chart History | Billboard". Billboard. Billboard. Retrieved 12 August 2016.
- ""There are no geographical boundaries to music"- Sanjoy Deb". CineBlitz. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Alam, Rasha. "Chammak Challo Remix Gains Recognition". DesiClub.com. Archived from the original on 18 May 2014. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Khan, Uneeq. "Love The Pressure". DesiDanceTeams.com. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Jahn, Brittany (6 September 2012). "Student-run production group creates viral, full-length video". Daily Californian. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "Sanjoy Deb produces Sunidhi Chauhan's single 'Ab Laut Aa'". Times of India. 20 May 2013. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- Ray, Nayna (5 June 2013). "Sunidhi Chauhan & Sanjoy Deb 'Ab Laut Aa'". Asian Image. Retrieved 18 May 2014.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Sanjoy". Veylex. Veylex. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "Tum Hi Ho Remix (Official) Aashiqui 2: Bollywood Dance Mix". YouTube. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Roy, Shayan. ""Don't Funk With Me" Is All Set To Become Your New Favourite Dance Track". Buzzfeed. Buzzfeed. Retrieved 30 May 2016.
- "#Holi Festival with #Sanjoy today on the East Field from 2-6". Facebook. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Shannon, Patrick. "BANGLADESHI-AMERICAN PRODUCER SANJOY BRINGS THE SOUNDS OF BOLLYWOOD TO EDM". LA Weekly. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "TAG THEY'RE IT: SHAZAM'S BIGGEST MOVERS". Hits Daily Double. Hits Daily Double. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "T.H.E Interview – Sanjoy". THE Interview. THE Interview. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "aGOT7's Youngjae Meets Elliott Yamin And Sanjoy Thanks To Fans". Soompi. Soompi. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Interview with Sanjoy". Veylex. Veylex. Retrieved 1 July 2019.
- "#Power96 #NP @sanjoyd "Shangri La" #TrendingMusic #CommercialFree". Twitter. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- "SANJOY DROPS NEW SINGLE "MUMBAE BOUNCE"". Veylex. Retrieved 2 July 2019.
- Thakur, Shilpa. "Shilpa Feat. Jay Mo BOMBAY NIGHTS (Music by Sanjoy Deb) – Official Lyric Video". YouTube. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- Sur, Prateek. "Heartless music review: Arijit Singh, KK and Mohit Chauhan cannot save this album!". BollywoodLife. Retrieved 17 May 2014.
- "Chammak Challo - (Sanjoy Deb Bootleg) - Akon Ra.One". YouTube. Retrieved 16 May 2014.
- "Sanjoy Deb ft. Neeraj K – Love the Pressure". YouTube. 18 November 2011. Retrieved 18 November 2011.
- "Sanjoy Deb – Tonight I Believe". IMVDB. 15 August 2012. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "Sanjoy Deb ft. Sunidhi Chauhan – Ab Laut Aa – Official Music Video". 11 April 2013.
- "Sanjoy Deb ft. Gaurav Dagaonkar – Ab Laut Aa (Reprise)". 18 October 2013.
- "VIMA India 2014 Winners List". bite my music. Retrieved 16 May 2014.