|Alma mater||National Film and Television School|
|Occupation||Television writer, screenwriter.|
|Spouse(s)||Stephen Poliakoff (m. 1983)|
As a screenwriter, Welch has developed many serials for the BBC, including The Magnificent 7, adaptations of Charles Dickens' novel Our Mutual Friend and Elizabeth Gaskell's North and South, and most recently the well-received 2006 interpretation of Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre. In 2009 Welch adapted Emma by Jane Austen and The Turn of the Screw for the BBC.
Welch won a BAFTA in 1999 for "Best Drama Serial" Our Mutual Friend, the award was shared with Catherine Wearing and Julian Farino. She was also nominated for the Edgar Award for "Best Television Feature or Miniseries" A Dark Adapted Eye in 1996 and nominated for an Emmy Award for "Outstanding Writing for a Miniseries, Movie or a Dramatic Special" Jane Eyre in 2007.
- Petrie, Duncan; Stoneman, Rod (2014). Educating Film-makers: Past, Present and Future. London, United Kingdom: Intellect Books. p. 113. ISBN 1783201851.
- "Drama - Jane Eyre - About The Show". BBC. Retrieved 11 April 2017.
- "MASTERPIECE Classic on PBS". Masterpiece. Retrieved 22 November 2016.
- "Sandy Welch Profile". theagency.co.uk/. The Agency. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Stephen Poliakoff". thepeerage.com. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Emma Screenwriter Q & A". pbs.org/. Retrieved 17 July 2015.