This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sandra Milo (born Salvatrice Elena Greco; 11 March 1933 in Tunis) is an Italian actress. She won a Silver Ribbon best supporting actress award for each of her roles in Federico Fellini's 8½ and Juliet of the Spirits.
Salvatrice Elena Greco
11 March 1933
Ottavio De Lollis
She made her film debut in 1955 alongside Alberto Sordi in The Bachelor. Her first major role came in 1959 thanks to the producer Moris Ergas, in General della Rovere, directed by Roberto Rossellini. She also appeared in his film, Vanina Vanini, but Rossellini's career was cut short after the film received harsh criticism at the Venice Festival.
After she got married, she retired from her acting career.
Until discovered by Fellini, Milo had mostly performed in comedies and melodramas. Although she was reluctant to make a comeback, Fellini convinced her to take on the role of the sexy, lightheaded mistress opposite Marcello Mastroianni in 8½. The movie, which won universal acclaim, failed to change the public perception of her and although she was cast in Juliet of the Spirits, most of her following endeavors were second-rate films.
In the mid-1960s, Milo was hostess of a television program in Rome.
She retired again from acting in 1968, only to make a second comeback in 1979. Her roles have shifted from that of the temptress to more stern middle-aged women.
She married Moris Ergas with whom she had a daughter Deborah, and later married Ottavio De Lollis with whom she had two children, Ciro and Azzurra.
- The Bachelor (1955)
- Wives and Obscurities directed by Leonardo De Mitri, 1956
- The Adventures of Arsène Lupin (1957)
- Il generale della Rovere directed by Roberto Rossellini, 1959
- Le chemin des écoliers by Michel Boisrond, 1959
- The Green Mare by Claude Autant-Lara, 1959
- Classe tous risques by Claude Sautet, 1960
- Adua e le compagne by Antonio Pietrangeli, 1960
- Ghosts of Rome by Antonio Pietrangeli, 1961
- Vanina Vanini (1961)
- 8½ by Federico Fellini, 1963
- Méfiez-vous, mesdames!, 1963
- La visita (1963)
- White Voices, 1964
- Beautiful Families (1964)
- Giulietta degli Spiriti by Federico Fellini, 1965
- L'ombrellone by Dino Risi, 1966
- The Strange Night (1967)
- Trusting Is Good... Shooting Is Better "T'ammazzo!... Raccomandati a Dio" (original title) (1968)
- Premio Nobel in Tutto Totò television series (1967)
- Il cuore altrove by Pupi Avati (2003)
- Impotenti esistenziali by Giuseppe Cirillo (2009)
- The Veil of Maya by Elisabetta Rocchetti (2017)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sandra Milo.|