This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Born in Tatabánya, 60 km from Budapest, Elès was orphaned during World War II, and emigrated to England during the Hungarian Revolution of 1956. He began his acting career on stage, and went on to appear in a host of television roles, the majority on ITV. These included the ITC series Danger Man, The Baron, The Saint, Timeslip and Jason King.
He made appearances in The Avengers, The Professionals, Strange Report and Upstairs, Downstairs. Often cast in generic 'foreigner' roles (diplomats, waiters, desk clerks), he most often played Frenchmen. Éles became a British citizen on 10 January 1977.
One of his most memorable film roles was as the mysterious Paul in the Brian Clemens thriller And Soon the Darkness. He also had major roles in the Hammer Horror movies Countess Dracula (1971) and The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) as well as appearing for four years in the 1980s as the scheming restaurant manager, Paul Ross, in the British TV soap opera Crossroads.
In 1996, Elès returned to his cultural roots, appearing as the narrator in the Bartók opera, Bluebeard's Castle. The concert performances, given by the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra under Bernard Haitink, were recorded for CD.
- The Rebel (1961) - Artist
- The Naked Edge (1961) - Manfridi St John
- Guns of Darkness (1962) - Lt. Gomez
- French Dressing (1964) - Vladek
- The Evil of Frankenstein (1964) - Hans
- San Ferry Ann (1965) - Shop Attendant
- The Magnificent Two (1967) - Armandez
- The Kremlin Letter (1970) - Lt. Grodin
- And Soon the Darkness (1970) - Paul
- Countess Dracula (1971) - Lt. Imre Toth
- Fun and Games (1971) - Paul Floret
- Scorpio (1973) - Malkin
- Love and Death (1975) - Soldier 2
- The Assignment (1977) - Clerk
- The Greek Tycoon (1978) - Lawrence
- Sherlock Holmes and the Leading Lady (1991) - Maitre D'
- Surviving Picasso (1996) - Party Guest (final film role)
- "Person - National Portrait Gallery". npg.org.uk.
- Services, Good Stuff IT. "Jozsef Sandor Eles died in Kilburn London NW6 on Tuesday 10 September 2002 (Unclaimed Estate Reference BV2032832/1) - Bona Vacantia List". unclaimedestates.info.
- "Sandor Elès".
- "Sandor Eles biography". allmovie.com. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Crossroads Online: A resource for all Crossroads fans". crossroads2001.co.uk. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Bartók: Duke Bluebeard's Castle, Sz. 48, Op. 11 (Bluebeard's Castle; A kékszakállú herceg vára) on CD, SACD, DVD & download (MP3 & FLAC)". prestoclassical.co.uk. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- Obituaries in the Performing Arts