Sander van Doorn
This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. The reason given is: History section mostly lacking citations. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Sander Ketelaars (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈsɑndər ˈkeːtəlaːrs]; born 28 February 1979), better known by his stage name Sander van Doorn (/
Sander van Doorn
Sander van Doorn in 2014
|Birth name||Sander Ketelaars|
|Also known as||Filterfunk, Larsson, Purple Haze, Sam Sharp, Sandler|
|Born||28 February 1979|
Eindhoven, North Brabant, Netherlands
|Genres||Electro house, progressive house, tech trance|
|Occupation(s)||Disc jockey, producer, remixer|
|Labels||Doorn Records, Spinnin' Records, Ultra Records, Mixmash Records, Toolroom Records|
|Associated acts||The Killers, Depeche Mode, Julian Jordan, Robbie Williams, Lady Gaga, Sia, Laidback Luke, DVBBS, Martin Garrix, R3hab, MOTi, Oliver Heldens|
- 1 Background
- 2 Musical style
- 3 History
- 4 Discography
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Sander van Doorn began his recording career in 2004, releasing numerous tech-trance hits on Oxygen Recordings. He became a regular DJ at Ibiza's Judgement Sunday and the Gallery in London, and was featured on BBC Radio One's Essential Mix in 2006. He gained recognition as a popular remixer, shifting from remixing for trance producers to pop/rock artists such as the Arctic Monkeys, whose hit "When the Sun Goes Down" was remixed by van Doorn in 2007.
Sander van Doorn's musical style has ranged from tech-house and progressive house during the mid-2000s to more vocal-driven electro-house and EDM throughout the 2010s. Despite being more known for DJ'ing, since 2006, he's been a regular presence on DJMag's Top 100 DJ surveys. Among his most notable remixes are Armin van Buuren's "Control Freak", Tiësto's "Dance4Life", Yello's "Oh Yeah", Sia's "The Girl You Lost to Cocaine", and Lady Gaga's "Marry the Night".
2007: Doorn Records and Best Breakthrough DJEdit
He established his label Doorn Records in 2007, and released his debut album Supernaturalistic on Spinnin' Records. That same year, he won the award for "Best Breakthrough DJ" at the International Dance Music Awards held at the Winter Music Conference in Miami.
The first big achievement in his career was securing residencies at Judgement Sunday in Ibiza and at the Gallery in London. In June 2007, he presented one of Eddie Halliwell's shows on BBC Radio One. He also did an essential mix for BBC Radio One. His productions, both original work and remixes, in 2007-2008 have generally been well received in the electronic music industry and are supported by more than 50 radio stations worldwide. Notable artists he has done remixes for include Sia, The Killers, Swedish House Mafia, Depeche Mode, & many others. He also collaborated with Robbie Williams.
2008: Debut studio albumEdit
2010: Headlining music festivalsEdit
In the summer of 2010, van Doorn had residency at the world-famous Amnesia nightclub in Ibiza, Spain. van Doorn headlined a lot of music festivals with Bal en Blanc 16 in Montreal, Beyond Wonderland in San Bernardino, Electric Zoo in New York City and Transmission in Prague. A month-long tour of North America, which started in April was a great success with the finale "Dusk Till Doorn" show at The Guvernment in Toronto. His tracks including "Renegade", "Daisy", "Reach Out", "Hymn 2.0" and "Daddyrock" topped the Beatport charts.
2011: Second studio albumEdit
On 19 September 2011, he released his second studio album titled "Eleve11" via Spinnin' Records. In 2011, he performed at Energy, Mysteryland, EDC and started a residency at worldwide Sensation festivals. He also released his first true cross-over hits 'Love is darkness' and 'Koko'. Besides that, his Dusk till Doorn compilation got its 2011 version, all of which earned him a Dutch Silver Harp award.
2012: Collaboration with MayaeniEdit
In 2012, his singles regularly topped the charts of online dance music retailer, Beatport. He collaborated with Detroit-based soul singer Mayaeni for the single "Nothing Inside". In March 2012, Sander performed at Ultra in Miami, where he introduced his new single "Nothing Inside" featuring Mayaeni. The song topped Beatport as well as the playlists and charts in numerous countries. In August 2012, it was announced that van Doorn and various notable electronic music producers would be featured on the Halo 4 remix album.
2013: Digitally ImportedEdit
In 2013, he started a monthly program called Identity on internet dance music radio station Digitally Imported. He started his own monthly internet radio show called "Identity" on Digitally Imported radio. He also released some hit songs like "Joyenegizer", "Neon", "Project T" (with Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike) and "Direct Dizko" (with Yves).
2014: Gold SkiesEdit
In 2014, he collaborated with Martin Garrix and DVBBS for the single "Gold Skies". He also released "Right Here Right Now". In 2015, several more singles were released, including "Phoenix" (with R3hab) and "Rage" and collaborations with Firebeatz and Julian Jordan.
2016: The Snake 2016Edit
Sander van Doorn started 2016 by releasing "Cuba Libre" followed by a collaboration with Gregor Salto for "Tribal". He then produced "Not Alone" inspired by the original track by Olive. "Raise Your Hands Up" with Chocolate Puma was released on Musical Freedom Records before "The Snake 2016" with Fred Pellichero. He ended 2016 with "WTF", collaborating with Oliver Heldens, which was released on Heldeep Records on November 28.
2017: Return to trance and new albumEdit
|Title||Details||Peak chart positions|
(as Purple Haze)
|"—" denotes a release that did not chart.|
|Title||Year||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
(as Sam Sharp)
(vs. Ron van den Beuken)
|"SOS (Message In A Bottle)"
|"By Any Demand"
(featuring MC Pryme)
|"Close My Eyes"
(vs. Robbie Williams)
(The Official Trance Energy Anthem 2010)
|"Love Is Darkness"
(featuring Carol Lee)
(with Julian Jordan)
(vs. Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike)
(with Martin Garrix and DVBBS featuring Aleesia)
|"—" denotes a single that did not chart or wasn't released in that country.|
This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Title||Released||Record Label||Other Artists|
|Dawn Raid||2008||Doorn Records||with Jon Rundell|
|What Say?||2009||with Marco V|
|Bliksem||as Purple Haze|
|Drink To Get Drunk|
|What Did I Do||2012|
|Into The Light||2013||with DubVision and Mako featuring Mariana Bell|
|Ten||Toolroom||with Mark Knight and Underworld|
|Direct Dizko||Doorn Records||with Yves V|
|Guitar Track||2014||with Firebeatz|
|THIS||with Oliver Heldens|
|Rage||2015||with Firebeatz and Julian Jordan|
|Ori Tali Ma||N/A|
|Oh, Amazing Bass|
|ABC||with Sunnery James & Ryan Marciano|
|White Rabbit||Spinnin' Records||with Pep & Rash|
|Cuba Libre||2016||Doorn Records||N/A|
|Tribal||with Gregor Salto|
|Raise Your Hands Up||Musical Freedom Records||with Chocolate Puma|
|The Snake 2016||Doorn Records||with Fred Pellichero|
|WTF||Heldeep Records||with HI-LO|
|Need To Feel Loved||2017||Doorn Records||with LVNDSCAPE|
|Just Won't Get Enough||Q-Dance Records||with Noisecontrollers|
|The Rhythm||Doorn Records||N/A|
|Neiloj||as Purple Haze|
|Contrast||as Purple Haze|
|No Words||2018||featuring Belle Humble|
|Bergen||Armind||as Purple Haze|
|Let It Go||Doorn Records||with D.O.D|
|The Hyll||Armind||as Purple Haze|
|One Love||2019||Doorn Records||with Frontliner|
|We Come in Peace||Armada Music||as Purple Haze|
|Surrender||Doorn / Spinnin' Records|
Remixes and editsEdit
|Artist||Track||Released||Record Label||Additional Information|
|Sam Sharp||Roundabout||2009||Doorn Records||Sander van Doorn Main Mix|
|Swedish House Mafia vs. Tinie Tempah||Miami 2 Ibiza||2011||Capitol (US)
|Sander van Doorn Remix|
|Inpetto||Shhhh!||2012||Doorn Records||Sander van Doorn Edit|
|Neil Davidge||To Galaxy||Microsoft Studios||Sander van Doorn and Julian Jordan Remix|
|The Alexsander||Output||2015||Spinnin' Deep||Sander van Doorn Edit|
|Moby||Natural Blues||2016||Spinnin' Deep||Sander van Doorn Remix|
|Sam Sharp||Roundabout||2017||Doorn Records||Purple Haze Remix|
|Lifelike and Kris Menace||Discopolis 2.0||2018||Armada Music||Sander van Doorn Remix|
|Frontliner||I'm The Melodyman||Doorn Records||Sander van Doorn Remix|
|Syn Cole||Lights Go Down||2019||Virgin EMI Records||Sander van Doorn Remix|
|Bottai||Nunc||Doorn Records||Purple Haze Edit|
- "Sander van Doorn | Biography & History | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 26 September 2016.
- "Sander van Doorn, Alvin Risk, KOAN Sound, & Others to Appear on Halo 4 Remix Album". ElectroJams.com. 22 August 2012. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- Twitter. 13 March 2017 https://twitter.com/purplehazeoff/status/841233102403956736. Retrieved 11 November 2017. Missing or empty
- Twitter. 9 October 2017 https://twitter.com/purplehazeoff/status/917375768606531590. Retrieved 12 November 2017. Missing or empty
- "Discografie Sander van Doorn". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- "SPECTRVM by Purple Haze on iTunes". Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- "Discografie Sander van Doorn". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 19 May 2019. For "SOS (Message In A Bottle)": "Filterfunk - SOS (Message In A Bottle)". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 19 May 2019. For "Twister": "Sam Sharp vs. Ron van den Beuken - Twister". dutchcharts.nl. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Diskografie Sander van Doorn". austriancharts.at. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Discografie Sander van Doorn". ultratop.be (Dutch). Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Sander Van Doorn Chart History: The Canadian Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- For "SOS (Message In A Bottle)": "Diskografia Filterfunk". finnishcharts.com. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Discographie Sander van Doorn". lescharts.com. Retrieved 19 May 2019. For "SOS (Message In A Bottle)": "Filterfunk - SOS (Message In A Bottle)". lescharts.com. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "The Official German Charts". offiziellecharts.de. Retrieved 19 May 2019. Type "Sander van Doorn" on the "suche" option and then search to see the chart history.
- For "Gold Skies": "ZPAV :: Opłaty za muzykę - Muzyka w biznesie - Top - listy przebojów". ozz.zpav.pl. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Discografia Sander van Doorn". spanishcharts.com. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Diskografie Sander van Doorn". hitparade.ch. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "SANDER VAN DOORN: full Official Chart History". Official Charts Company. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Sander Van Doorn Chart History: Hot Dance/Electronic Songs". Billboard. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Sam Sharp vs Ron van den Beuken - Twister (CD, Single)". Discogs. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "S.O.S (Message in a Bottle) by Filterfunk on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Grasshopper - EP by Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "By Any Demand - EP by Sander van Doorn on iTunes (nl)". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Riff - Single by Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Apple - Single by Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Renegade (The Official Trance Energy Anthem 2010) - Single by Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Love Is Darkness (feat. Carol Lee) - EP by Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Koko - EP by Sander van Doorn on iTunes (nl)". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Chasin' (In The City) - Single by Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Nothing Inside - EP by Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Kangaroo - Single by Sander van Doorn & Julian Jordan on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Joyenergizer - Single by Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Project T - Single by Dimitri Vegas & Like Mike & Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "ZPAV :: Opłaty za muzykę - Muzyka w biznesie - Top - listy przebojów". ozz.zpav.pl. Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Phoenix - Single by R3HAB & Sander van Doorn on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Lost - Single by Sander van Doorn & MOTi on iTunes". Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- "Sander van Doorn & MOTi - Lost". ultratop.be (French). Retrieved 19 May 2019.
- Sawyer, Mitch (22 February 2018). "Premiere: Sander Van Doorn Feat. Belle Humble – No Words". We Rave You. Archived from the original on 10 April 2018. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- "Sander Van Doorn Drops New Purple Haze Track 'Bergen'". EDM Sauce. 6 April 2018. Archived from the original on 10 April 2018. Retrieved 10 April 2018.
- Todoroski, James (13 July 2018). "Purple Haze – Call Me". We Rave You. Archived from the original on 16 July 2018. Retrieved 16 July 2018.
- "Let It Go - Single by Sander van Doorn & D.O.D on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 4 September 2018.
- Keulemans, Thomas (10 November 2018). "Sander van Doorn dons Purple Haze moniker for new track 'The Hyll'". We Rave You. Archived from the original on 16 November 2018. Retrieved 16 November 2018.
- Bein, Kat (18 January 2018). "Sander van Doorn & Frontliner Find Humanity In The Glitch On 'One Love': Exclusive". Billboard. Archived from the original on 23 January 2019. Retrieved 23 January 2019.
- "500 (Pcm) - Single by Sander van Doorn on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "We Come in Peace - Single by Purple Haze on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Surrender - Single by Purple Haze on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Blowback - Single by Sander van Doorn & Firebeatz on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- "Miami 2 Ibiza (Sander van Doorn Remix), a playlist by Karl Swedkarl on Spotify". open.spotify.com.
- "Discopolis 2.0 (Sander van Doorn Remix) - Single by Lifelike & Kris Menace on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "I'm the Melodyman (Sander van Doorn Remix) - Single by Frontliner on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Lights Go Down (Sander van Doorn Remix) - Single by Syn Cole on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 13 June 2019.
- "Nunc (Purple Haze Edit) - Single by Bottai on Apple Music". iTunes Store. Retrieved 13 September 2019.