Sande is a municipality in Vestfold County, Norway. Its administrative centre is the village of Sande i Vestfold. The municipality of Sande was established on 1 January 1838 (see formannskapsdistrikt).
Sande within Vestfold
|Administrative centre||Sande i Vestfold|
|• Mayor (2015-)||Elin Gran Weggesrud (Ap)|
|• Total||178 km2 (69 sq mi)|
|• Land||174 km2 (67 sq mi)|
|Area rank||346 in Norway|
|• Rank||128 in Norway|
|• Density||44/km2 (110/sq mi)|
|• Change (10 years)||9.3%|
|Time zone||UTC+01:00 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+02:00 (CEST)|
|ISO 3166 code||NO-0713|
|Official language form||Bokmål |
Sande is located in a beautiful area by the sea about 60 kilometres (37 mi) south of Oslo (50 minutes driving time). In recent years the administrative center of Sande has grown significantly due to many new apartments and stores.
The municipality (originally the parish) is named after the old Sande farm (Old Norse: Sandvin) because the first church was built there. The first element in the name, sandr, means "sand", and the last element, vin, means "meadow" or "pasture".
The newspaper Sande Avis is published in Sande.
Sande in Vestfold is the site of the medieval era Sande Church (Sande kirke, Vestfold). It is located in Sande parish in Nord-Jarlsberg rural deanery. The building material is stone and brick, and it was built in 1150. In 1783, the church burned down; only the walls remained. Over the next eight years, it was rebuilt, and 1860 the church was refurnished. But the older altarpiece, baptismal font, and pulpit were retained. The pulpit is also from 1783 and features Rococo-style carvings. The font of soapstone is the only medieval inventory preserved. 
- "Navn på steder og personer: Innbyggjarnamn" (in Norwegian). Språkrådet.
- "Forskrift om målvedtak i kommunar og fylkeskommunar" (in Norwegian). Lovdata.no.
- Rygh, Oluf (1907). Norske gaardnavne: Jarlsberg og Larviks amt (in Norwegian) (6 ed.). Kristiania, Norge: W. C. Fabritius & sønners bogtrikkeri. p. 26.
- Norske Kommunevåpen (1990). "Nye kommunevåbener i Norden". Retrieved 2009-01-14.
- Larsen, Erlend (2011). På Tur i Vestfold del 2. E-forlag. Page 196. ISBN 9788293057222.
- Store norske leksikon: Sande Avis.
- "Sande kirke, Vestfold". Den Norske Kirke. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- "Sande kirkested". Kulturminnesok.no. Archived from the original on 2014-01-11. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- "Om Sande". Sande kommune. Retrieved 2009-01-14.[dead link] (in Norwegian)