Sandbanks is a small peninsula or spit (1 km2 or 0.39 sq mi) crossing the mouth of Poole Harbour on the English Channel coast at Poole in Dorset, England. It is known for its high property prices and for its award-winning beach. In 2005, Sandbanks was reported to have the fourth highest land value by area in the world.[needs update] The Sandbanks and Canford Cliffs Coastline area has been dubbed "Britain's Palm Beach".
Sandbanks is connected to Studland by the Sandbanks Ferry, a chain ferry across the mouth of the harbour. The Sandbanks area of Poole Harbour (known as North Haven Lake) is used for water sports and by light marina craft. The north side is home to the Southern Headquarters of the Royal Yachting Association and a sailing school.
Views to the north are across Poole Harbour and to Poole. To the south views extend across the English Channel and to the coastline of Studland and Swanage in the west.
Sandbanks is a predominantly residential area, with homes stretching east from the Harbour to The Avenue, the eastern boundary of Poole. Homes often sell for millions of pounds.
The Haven Hotel in Sandbanks, constructed in 1887, was where Guglielmo Marconi performed wireless experiments in the late 1890s while living there. Sandbanks was the third place in the world to have a permanent wireless station (1899).
The Royal National Lifeboat Institution stationed a lifeboat at Sandbanks in 1865. The crew had to travel from Poole in a horse-drawn carriage whenever it was launched so a new Poole Lifeboat Station was opened at Fisherman's Dock on Poole Quay in 1882.
- Tony Pulis – former manager of Stoke City.
- Graeme Souness – retired footballer and manager, now media commentator.
- Harry Redknapp – former manager of Portsmouth F.C., Tottenham Hotspur and Queens Park Rangers.
- Jamie Redknapp – retired footballer, now media commentator.
- Celia Sawyer – dealer on Four Rooms (Channel 4) and presenter of Your Home in Their Hands (BBC1)
Sandbanks is accessible by car on two B-roads: B3369 from Parkstone and B3065 from Westbourne, or via Sandbanks Ferry from Studland. Sandbanks along with Bournemouth and Poole has easy access to the M27 motorway at Southampton via the A338 and A31 roads.
The nearest train station is Parkstone railway station, about 4 km away but there are no public transport routes connecting there. Instead, the Purbeck Breezer bus route 50 runs daily year-round from Bournemouth railway station, the major station in the conurbation, and seasonal routes 60 and 70 (some departures only) runs from Poole bus station, near Poole railway station.
- "Island on the market for £2.5 million", BBC News 13 April 2005
- Morris, Steven. "£3m for modest bungalow needing TLC", The Guardian 2 November 2005.
- "Home". www.rya.org.uk.
- "History". Poole Lifeboat Station. Retrieved 15 December 2010.
- "Tony Pulis buys in Sandbanks". This is Staffordshire.
- Dixon, Hayley (8 April 2014). "Millionaires' row residents have their 'lives ruined' by raucous stag parties". The Daily Telegraph.
- "Redknapp confirmed as QPR manager". BBC Sport.
- "Dorset celebrities". www.bbc.co.uk.
- Silverman, Laura (28 September 2014). "My space: Celia Sawyer". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 7 March 2015.