Sanandaj pronunciation (help·info) (Kurdish: سنە Sine; Persian: سنندج) is the capital of Kurdistan Province in Iran. With a population of 414,069, Sanandaj is the twenty third largest city in Iran and the second largest Kurdish city. Sanandaj's founding is fairly recent, (about 400 years ago), yet under its short existence it has grown to become a center of Kurdish culture.
|• Mayor||Heshmatollah Seydi|
|• City||3,033 km2 (1,171 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,538 m (5,046 ft)|
|• Urban||412,767 |
|Time zone||UTC+3:30 (IRST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+4:30 (IRDT)|
The city of Sanandaj was originally called Saneh, and because it was located near an important castle it was later called Sanehdaj, meaning castle at the foot of a mountain. This presumably turned into Sanandaj over time.
The population of Sanandaj is mainly Kurdish. The city also had an Armenian minority who gradually emigrated from the city. Until the Iranian Revolution (1979), the city had a small Aramaic-speaking Jewish community of about 4,000 people. The city boasted a sizable Assyrian community that spoke a unique dialect of Aramaic called Senaya. The economy of Sanandaj is based upon the production of carpets, processed hides and skins, milled rice, refined sugar, woodworking, cotton weaving, metalware and cutlery.
The Ardalani dialect of Kurdish is spoken in Sanandaj and its surroundings. Ardalani dialect is distinct to Kurdistan province and is spoken in Sanandaj and other cities of Kurdistan province. The other important dialect of Sorani Kurdish is Mokriani which is spoken in Mokrian region in Piranshahr & Mahabad in West Azerbaijan province.
- "آمار جمعیتی شهرستان سنندج :: فرمانداری سنندج".
- Geoffrey Khan, The Jewish Neo-Aramaic Dialect of Sanandaj, Piscataway NJ: Gorgias Press, p. 1.
- Sanandaj Encyclopædia Britannica, retrieved 16 July 2014.
- حدیدی، عبدالعلی. «سنندج». در دانشنامه جهان اسلام. 21/10/1387. بازبینیشده در 2012-07-20.
- "کردستان از نظر نرخ بیکاری در جایگاه دوم کشور قرار گرفت". yjc.ir. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- "سرمایهگذاری در صنعت و معدن کردستان، 4 برابر کمتر از متوسط کشوری است". sanayenews.com. Retrieved 14 May 2016.
- "Azad - Fan Lexikon". Fan-Lexikon.de (in German). Retrieved 27 October 2017.