San Ysidro Elementary School District
The San Ysidro School District is a public school district in San Diego County, California, United States. It includes five elementary schools, one middle school, and several preschools in the San Ysidro community in San Diego, California as well as two elementary schools elsewhere in San Diego.
|San Ysidro School District|
|4350 Otay Mesa Rd.|
San Ysidro, California 92173
|Schools||5 elementary, 2 middle, 1 preschool|
|Students and staff|
In the 2012–2013 school year, there was conflict between the San Ysidro Teachers association and the school board. Teachers accused the school board of favoritism toward the assistant superintendent, Jason Romero, because his mother sat on the school board. The connection became controversial when she voted to give her son a $10,000 raise. Teachers also opposed a proposal to give the school board the final say over teacher grievances, which amounted to a review of actions by Romero. As of February 2013, no contract had been agreed to, and teachers were picketing outside some schools.
An investigation is currently under way over a $2,500 cash payment, given in 2010 to school superintendent Manuel Paul from a contractor with business pending before the district. Paul says the money was intended for the election campaigns of school board members. Paul and fourteen other people were indicted January 15, 2013 on corruption charges. On April 4, 2013, the school board voted 3–2 to accept Paul's resignation.
- "Schools". San Ysidro School District. Archived from the original on February 3, 2013. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- McDonald, Jeff (February 3, 2013). "San Ysidro trustee votes to raise son's salary by $10,000". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Chan, Chris (February 5, 2013). "Teachers Accuse San Ysidro District of Favoritism". NBC 7 San Diego. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- McDonald, Jeff (February 15, 2013). "'What do we do about this $2,500?'; Witness says school officials met to determine how to account for payment to superintendent". The San Diego Union-Tribune. Retrieved February 28, 2013.
- Dipping, Caroline (April 6, 2013). "San Ysidro OKs resignation of superintendent". The San Diego Union-Tribune.