San Juan Capistrano station
San Juan Capistrano station is a train station in San Juan Capistrano, California, United States served by Amtrak, the national railroad passenger system, and Metrolink, a commuter railroad. The station has a single side platform serving the single track of the Orange Subdivision.
The depot, converted into a restaurant. Except for the dome, the plaster has been removed to expose the brickwork.
|Location||26701 Verdugo Street|
San Juan Capistrano, California
|Owned by||City of San Juan Capistrano|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Opened||October 27, 1894|
|Passengers (2018)||237,776 3.76% (Amtrak)|
The station is served by Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner, and with few exceptions is the last stop in Orange County; a few trains stop at San Clemente Pier before crossing into San Diego County. It is also served by Metrolink's two Orange County lines.
The San Juan Capistrano station was originally opened October 27, 1894 by the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. It was one of the earliest examples of Mission Revival Style architecture in railway stations. In 1966, the station was closed, two years ahead of the end of Santa Fe passenger service to the city. Amtrak added San Juan Capistrano as a flag stop on its Los Angeles–San Diego San Diegan service on May 19, 1974. A year later, the depot was converted into a restaurant, with vintage rolling stock used to expand the space. In 1995, the complex received a refurbishment, resulting in two restaurants, one located in the depot building, as well as Amtrak ticketing services and a waiting room, located in two boxcars.
Postcard of the original Santa Fe depot in 1894
- SMA Rail Consulting (April 2016). "California Passenger Rail NETWORK SCHEMATICS" (PDF). California Department of Transportation. p. 26.
- "Amtrak Fact Sheet, Fiscal Year 2018, State of California" (pdf). Amtrak. June 2019. Retrieved December 28, 2019.
- Duke 1995, p. 241 Harv error: no target: CITEREFDuke1995 (help)
- "Picture of plaque at station". TrainWeb. Archived from the original on 28 February 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "San Juan Capistrano, CA (SNC)". Great American Stations (Amtrak). Archived from the original on 28 February 2011. Retrieved 28 February 2011.
- "When Train Comes Back to Capistrano..." Los Angeles Times. May 22, 1974. p. 10. Retrieved July 5, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- San Juan Capistrano, CA – Amtrak
- San Juan Capistrano at the Metrolink website
- San Juan Capistrano Amtrak-Metrolink Station(USA RailGuide -- TrainWeb)
- San Juan Capistrano (SNC)--Great American Stations (Amtrak)
|This California train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|