|Coordinates (alcalde's office): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Sergio Echeverría García|
|• Total||9.7 km2 (3.7 sq mi)|
|• Density||10,000/km2 (26,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (CLT )|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (CLST )|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of San Joaquín|
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, San Joaquín spans an area of 9.7 km2 (4 sq mi) and has 97,625 inhabitants (46,708 men and 50,917 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population fell by 14.4% (16,392 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. Its 2006 projected population was 87,035.
As a commune, San Joaquín is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Sergio Echeverría García. The communal council has the following members:
- Nelly Santander Marín (IND)
- Ramón Ortiz Seguel (PPD)
- Víctor Contreras Vicencio (IND)
- Gustavo Arias Campos (PC)
- Elizabeth Galleguillos Medina (RN)
- Cristóbal Labra Bassa (PS)
- Manuel León Huerta (PDC)
- José Contreras Silva (UDI)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, San Joaquín is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Felipe Salaberry (UDI) and Ximena Vidal (PPD) as part of the 25th electoral district, (together with Macul and La Granja). The commune is represented in the Senate by Soledad Alvear (PDC) and Pablo Longueira (UDI) as part of the 8th senatorial constituency (Santiago-East).
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Municipality of San Joaquín" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 21 September 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 21 September 2010. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Sistema de Información Regional, Ministry of Planning of Chile. Archived April 23, 2008, at the Wayback Machine
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- "Las Trayectorias del Desarrollo Humano en las Comunas de Chile (1994-2003) Archived July 7, 2011, at the Wayback Machine." UNDP, Gobierno de Chile, Mideplán