Samui International Airport (Thai: ท่าอากาศยานสมุย) (IATA: USM, ICAO: VTSM), also known as Ko Samui Airport or Koh Samui Airport, is a privately owned airport on the island of Ko Samui (Koh Samui) in Thailand. The airport is roughly 2 km north of the main city and largest resort centre on the island, Chaweng. It was built by Bangkok Airways. Construction began in 1982 and the airport was officially opened in April 1989.
Samui International Airport
|Location||Bo Phut, Ko Samui, Surat Thani, Thailand|
|Elevation AMSL||64 ft / 20 m|
Samui Airport has a unique, open-air design with the indoor areas being the gift shop, ticket office, toilets, and VIP lounge area. It is also the country's seventh busiest airport handling more than a million passengers annually. The airport has two terminals (domestic and international). The international terminal is about 50 metres north of the domestic terminal. Samui Airport is near the Big Buddha Pier where ferries depart to Ko Pha-ngan. High speed ferries to Ko Tao and Chumphon depart from the Maenam Beach Pier, approximately 6 km northwest of the airport.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|Year||Flights||Arriving Passengers||Departing Passengers||Total passengers|
|Source: Thailand's Department of Civil Aviation & C9 Hotel Works|
Accidents and incidentsEdit
- On 21 November 1990, Bangkok Airways Flight 125, a Bombardier Dash 8, crashed while attempting to land in heavy rain and high winds. All 38 people on board were killed.
- On 4 August 2009, Bangkok Airways Flight 266, an ATR-72 between Krabi and Ko Samui skidded off the runway, killing one of the pilots.
- "Thai Airways to end Bkk-Samui flights". The Nation. Bangkok. 2 June 2018. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Bangkok Airways plans Koh Samui – Chongqing launch in July 2017". Routes Online. 3 June 2017. Retrieved 3 November 2017.
- "Chengdu Airlines adds Koh Samui service from late-Jan 2019". routesonline. Retrieved 29 January 2019.
- "Tibet Airlines adds international routes from Xi'An from late-Aug 2017". routesonline. Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "Samui Airport 2005 Statistics". Thai Department of Civil Aviation. Archived from the original on 5 June 2012.
- "Samui Airport 2006 Statistics". Thai Department of Civil Aviation. Archived from the original on 5 June 2012.
- "Samui Airport 2007 Statistics". Thai Department of Civil Aviation. Archived from the original on 5 June 2012.
- "Samui Airport 2008 Statistics" (PDF). Thai Department of Civil Aviation. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 September 2011.
- "Samui Airport 2015 Statistics" (PDF). C9 Hotel Works.
- "ACCIDENT DETAILS". Plane Crash Info. Archived from the original on 9 March 2014. Retrieved 6 October 2014.
- Accident description for HS-SKI at the Aviation Safety Network. Retrieved on 2017-11-03.
- "Fatalities reported as Bangkok Airways ATR 72–500 skids off runway". Flight Global. Retrieved 4 August 2009.
- Ko Samui travel guide from Wikivoyage
- Samui Airport (bangkokair.com)
- Samui Airport Guide
- Samui Airport Transfer
- Airport info and chart (thaiflyingclub.com)
- Airport information for VTSM at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.
- Samui Airport Statistics
|This article about a Thai airport is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|