Samsung Galaxy Tab S4
The Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is a tablet computer developed and produced by Samsung Electronics. It is the successor of the previous Galaxy Tab S3, and was announced alongside the cheaper Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.5.
Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 (10.5-inch)
|Product family||Galaxy Tab, Galaxy S|
|Release date||August 1, 2018|
|Introductory price||$649.99 (WIFI/64G)
$749.99 (WIFI/256G) $729.99 (LTE/64G) (United States) £599 (WIFI/64G) £649 (LTE/64G) (UK) 699€(WIFI/64G) 759€ (LTE/64G) (France/Germany) 792000₩ (WIFI/64G) 891000₩ (WIFI/256G) 880000₩ (LTE/64G) 990000₩(LTE/256G)(Korea) 5888¥(CNY)(LTE/64G)
6388¥(CNY)(LTE/256G)4888¥(CNY)(WIFI/64G) discontinued =
|Operating system||Android 8.1 Oreo|
|System-on-chip used||Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835|
|CPU||Octa-core (4×2.35 GHz Kryo and 4×1.9 GHz Kryo)|
|Memory||4 GB LPDDR4X SDRAM|
|Storage||64 or 256 GB flash memory|
|Removable storage||microSDXC, expandable up to 400 GB|
|Display||10.5 in (267.2 mm) diagonal, 2560×1600 px (287 PPI) (AMOLED panel), 16:10 aspect ratio|
|Sound||Quad stereo speakers tuned by AKG, Dolby Atmos surround sound|
|Input||Accelerometer, barometer, iris scanner, geomagnetic sensor, gyroscope, hall sensor, proximity sensor|
|Camera||8 megapixels 1080p front-facing and 13 megapixels 4K rear-facing|
|Connectivity||Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (2.4 and 5GHz), MIMO, Bluetooth 5.0, USB-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, location (GPS, Galileo, GLONASS, BeiDou)|
|Power||7,300 mAh battery|
|Predecessor||Samsung Galaxy Tab S3|
The Tab S4 was revealed online on August 1 2018, with preorders for WiFi and cellular models beginning on the same day. In the United States at launch, LTE models are available for purchase via Verizon, with support from other carriers arriving in Q3 2018. Orders will begin shipping on August 10th.
The Tab S4 features an octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 with 4 GB of LPDDR4X memory. It is available in 64 or 256 GB storage variants, with expandable microSD card support for up to 400 GB. The Tab S4 has Bluetooth 5.0 support and a larger 7,300 mAh battery with adaptive fast charging, and a claimed video playback time of up to 16 hours. The device has integrated far-field microphones that allow Google Assistant to be controlled from far distances.
Compared to the Galaxy Tab S3, the Tab S4 has a larger 10.5-inch 2560x1600 display with a 16:10 aspect ratio and slimmer bezels, allowing its footprint to be similar to its predecessor. As a result, the Tab S4 no longer features a fingerprint sensor or navigation and home buttons, and uses a facial and iris scanner instead. The front-facing selfie-camera has been upgraded to 8 megapixels and can record in 1080p resolution. The four stereo speakers have also been tuned by AKG and support Dolby Atmos surround sound.
New features include Samsung Knox protection and a Daily Board mode, that allows for the display of photos, and weather and calendar information. Bixby 2.0 will be added in a future software update in 2019.
Samsung DeX is also natively supported and is launched on the device when a keyboard cover is connected. The Tab S4 can run up to 20 multiple application windows simultaneously, and supports split screen, drag and drop, and right click functionality. When connected to an external monitor, the screen can be used as a trackpad.
The Tab S4 is included with an improved S Pen stylus with a 0.7 mm tip and 4,096 pressure sensitivity levels, similar to the S Pen on the Galaxy Note 8. It weighs 9.1 grams (0.32 oz) and supports features such as air commands, translation of on-screen text, screen-off memos, and live messages.
A detachable keyboard accessory is also offered separately and magnetically latches onto the Tab S4. It has a holster for the S Pen but does not include a trackpad, requiring users to rely on the touchscreen, S Pen or a bluetooth mouse for input.
- "Samsung Launches New Galaxy Tab S4 to Compete With iPad Pro". Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung made a cheaper version of the Galaxy Tab S4 without stylus or keyboard support". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung's Galaxy Tab S4 focuses on productivity to take on iPad Pro". AppleInsider. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung thinks the Galaxy Tab S4 can replace your laptop". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 officially announced, includes DeX and costs $650". Android Central. 2018-08-01. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Shilov, Anton. "Samsung Introduces Galaxy Tab S4: S835, 7300mAh Battery, Samsung DeX". Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Specifications | Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 – The Official Samsung Galaxy Site". The Official Samsung Galaxy Site. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 first look: Are Android tablets back?". Trusted Reviews. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Mills, Chris (2018-08-01). "Samsung officially unveils the Galaxy Tab S4, a $649 Android tablet with no home button". BGR. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 review". TechRadar. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung's new Galaxy Tab S4 tries to beat the iPad at productivity". The Verge. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is a 10.5-inch iPad Pro rival". TechRadar. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 vs. Galaxy Tab S3: Android Tablet Showdown". Digital Trends. 2018-08-01. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "With the Galaxy Tab S4, Samsung tries to crack the code to tablet productivity". Digital Trends. 2018-08-01. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- SamMobile. "Galaxy Tab S4 goes official with 10.5″ display, DeX mode, Quad speakers, and more". SamMobile. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Yanachkov, Milen. "Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is official: bezel-less design, beautiful display, S Pen power". Phone Arena. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung's Bixby assistant will come to the Galaxy Tab S4 next year". Digital Trends. 2018-08-01. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 goes official w/ native DeX desktop interface, 10.5-inch display, S-Pen". 9to5Google. 2018-08-01. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Wong, Raymond. "Samsung's Galaxy Tab S4 is an Android tablet that becomes a pseudo-laptop when you need it". Mashable. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 is a $649 2-in-1 Android tablet for multitaskers". CNET. 2018-08-01. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 hands-on preview: The two-faced tablet". Android Central. 2018-08-01. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- "Samsung's Tab S4 is both an Android tablet and a desktop computer". Ars Technica. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Moorhead, Patrick. "Samsung Sneaks Out Sexy New Galaxy Tab 4 Prior To Unpacked Event". Forbes. Retrieved 2018-08-03.
- Rutherford, Sam. "Samsung's Latest Tablet Is Trying to Out Pro the iPad". Gizmodo. Retrieved 2018-08-03.