Samsung Galaxy S6 Active
The Samsung Galaxy S6 Active is an Android smartphone produced by Samsung Electronics. In the United States it was only available on the AT&T network. As a variant of the Samsung Galaxy S6, the S6 Active contains similar specifications, but it also features waterproofing, shockproofing and dustproofing designed around the IP68 specifications, along with a more rugged design; it was released on 12 June 2015.
The S6 Active was first released in the United States by AT&T on 12 June 2015 in the gray, camo-blue, and camo-white colors; its model number is SM–G890A.
The S6 Active inherits most of its hardware components from the Galaxy S6, including an identical octa-core processor, 3 GB of RAM, and a 5.1-inch display. It uses the same display type as the S6, and has a 16 megapixel camera. Its hardware design is similar to the S6, except it is slightly thicker, has metallic rivets, and uses three physical navigation keys instead of a physical home key and capacitive back/menu keys like the S6. The S6 Active launched with similar software to the S6, Android 5.0.2 with TouchWiz. At 3,500 mAh, its battery has a greater capacity than the S6, and retains wireless-charging support. It has an additional app when compared to the S6, Activity Zone, which provides quick access to a compass, flashlight, stopwatch and weather.
- It is water resistant and shock proof.
- The battery has 37% more capacity than the S6.
- The Active has a button on the left side above the volume rocker that can be configured to launch any app.
- The phone runs cool and sometimes the S6 runs hot.
- It is only $10 more than the normal version.
- It has the same performance and camera as the S6.
As well as listing five reasons to get the S6 rather than the S6 Active:
- The Active has a plastic case rather than a metal one.
- The Active does not have a fingerprint scanner.
- The Active comes in 32 GB and 64 GB models.
- The Active is only available through AT&T. (This was only true for the US)
- Firmware and security updates for the S6 Active will be issued less frequently than for the S6.
- "Samsung Galaxy S6 hands-on: Meet the smartphone to beat in 2015". BGR. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Ghosh, Shona. "Samsung 'eclipses' rivals with Galaxy S6 campaign". Marketing Magazine. Retrieved 20 March 2015.
- "Samsung Galaxy S6 uses a Sony IMX240 camera sensor". GSMArena.com.
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Active is real, and AT&T calls dibs. Retrieved 8 June 2015.
- Dan Seifert (14 June 2015). "Six reasons to get the Samsung Galaxy S6 Active". The Verge. Retrieved 16 June 2015.