Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini
The Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini is an Android smartphone developed by the Korean manufacturer Samsung Electronics. Announced on May 31, 2013 and released in July 2013, the S4 Mini is a mid-range model of its flagship Galaxy S4 smartphone and a successor to the Galaxy S III Mini. It has a similar hardware design and software features to its high-end counterpart.
Galaxy S4 mini in White frost
|Compatible networks||2G GSM/GPRS/EDGE – 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz|
|First released||July 2013|
|Predecessor||Samsung Galaxy S III Mini|
|Successor||Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini|
|Related||Samsung Galaxy S4 |
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active
|Dimensions||124.6 mm (4.91 in) H |
61.3 mm (2.41 in) W
8.9 mm (0.35 in) D
|Mass||107 g (3.8 oz)|
|Operating system||Original: Android 4.2.2 with Linux 3.4.x (GT-I9195), Android 4.4.4 with Linux 3.10.x (GT-I9195I)|
Current: Android 4.4.2 (GT-I9195)
|System on chip||Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 (8230AB/8930AB) / Snapdragon 410 (8916)|
|CPU||1.7 GHz dual-core Krait 300|
1.2 GHz Quad-core Cortex-A53 (S4 Mini Plus)
|Storage||8 GB (5 GB user available)|
|Removable storage||Up to 64 GB microSDXC|
|Battery||1900 mAh (7.22 Wh 3.8 V) Li-ion|
|Data inputs||Multi-touch capacitive touchscreen, headset controls, Proximity sensor, Ambient light sensor, 3-axis Gyroscope, Magnetometer, Accelerometer, IR Blaster, aGPS, GLONASS|
|Display||4.27 in (108 mm) RGB Super AMOLED |
960x540 px, qHD (258 PPI)
Corning Gorilla Glass
|Front camera||1.9 MP, HD video (720p) at 60 fps|
|Connectivity||3.5 mm TRRS; Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n 2.4 & 5 GHz); Wi-Fi Direct; Bluetooth 4.0; micro USB 2.0; NFC (GT-I9195); DLNA; UMA|
|Website||Galaxy S4 Mini website|
The S4 Mini uses an almost identical variant of the Galaxy S4's polycarbonate hardware design. Internally, it features a dual-core 1.7 GHz Snapdragon 400 processor with 1.5 GB of RAM, 8 GB of expandable storage, and a 4.27 inch qHD (540 x 960 pixel) Super AMOLED screen. The S4 Mini also includes a 1.9-megapixel (MP) front-facing camera, and an 8-megapixel rear-facing camera.
Software & updatesEdit
Similarly to the S4, the S4 Mini comes with Android 4.2 and Samsung's TouchWiz software, although certain features present on the S4 are not available (such as Air Gestures, Air View, Multi-window, Smart Pause, Smart Rotation, and Smart Scroll).
The S4 mini received the android 4.4.2 "KitKat" update on June 2014 (though not in all regions), bringing some minor UI changes as seen on the Galaxy S4 and S4 Active.
When asked about whether the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini would get the Lollipop update on the April 24, 2015, Three UK stated that it would not get the Lollipop update, blaming on "memory limitations". However, Three Ireland stated later on the very same day that the S4 Mini would indeed get the lollipop update and that it should start rolling out in the coming weeks. Even though the Samsung UK and US carrier Sprint confirming that the S4 Mini will get the Lollipop update, several retweets from Samsung itself suggests that this was misinformation stating that it had failed the initial test for the update.
The S4 mini version for most of Europe, Latin America, South Africa and few Asian countries contains a 1900 mAh, NFC-enabled battery, besides NFC is still standard on regular Galaxy S4 (both Exynos and Snapdragon variants).
The Galaxy S4 Mini is made available in:
- GSM & HSDPA (GT-I9190);
- LTE (GT-I9195), with NFC;
- GT-I9195L, exclusively for Latin America
- GT-I9195T, exclusively for Australia
- Dual SIM (GT-I9192), with 16 GB of internal storage in some regions;
- LTE (GT-I9197), without NFC;
- TD-SCDMA (GT-I9198)
- Canadian AWS LTE (SGH-I257M)
- Verizon LTE (SCH-I435) 
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini PlusEdit
On August 3, 2015, Samsung released an updated version of the S4 Mini called the S4 Mini Plus (also known as S4 Mini Value Edition). It features a new 1.2 GHz Quad core processor, an Adreno 306 GPU, and comes with Android KitKat 4.4.4. The rest of the specs remain the same. The Galaxy S4 Mini Plus is available in two variants:
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini, GSMArena.com
- "How To Install Android 4.4.2 KitKat On Galaxy S4 Mini LTE". ibtimes.com. 24 March 2014. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Samsung Galaxy S4 mini preview: First look". GSMArena.com. 2013-05-30. Retrieved 2013-07-10.
- List of devices with Gorilla Glass, Corning Inc.
- "Samsung I9190 Galaxy S4 mini - Full phone specifications". gsmarena.com. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Samsung Galaxy S4 mini launched: All you need to know – Tech2". firstpost.com. 21 May 2013. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Display Size Galaxy S4 Mini". Samsung. Retrieved 11 July 2014.
- "Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini review". Engadget. Retrieved 14 August 2013.
- "ThreeUKSupport on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Three Ireland Online on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Tweets with replies by Sam Private (@SamsungMobileUK) - Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Sprint Care on Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Specs - Verizon Wireless Cell Phones SCH-I435 - Samsung Cell Phones". samsung.com. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Samsung Galaxy S4 mini plus quietly released". GSMArena.com.
- "Samsung Galaxy S4 mini I9195I - Full phone specifications". www.gsmarena.com.
- "Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini". Archived from the original on 2016-04-27.