Samson and the Slave Queen
Samson and the Slave Queen (Italian: Zorro contro Maciste) is a 1963 Italian peplum directed by Umberto Lenzi. It was originally made as a Maciste film in Italy, in which the fabled strongman meets Zorro. It was redubbed into a "Samson" movie for distribution in the U.S. and "Samson" meets "El Toro" (instead of "El Zorro".)
|Samson and the Slave Queen|
|Directed by||Umberto Lenzi|
|Produced by||Fortunato Misiano|
|Music by||Angelo Francesco Lavagnino|
|Edited by||Jolanda Benvenuti|
- Alan Steel as Maciste (Samson in the U.S. version)
- Pierre Brice as Zorro/Ramon (Ramon/El Toro in the U.S. version)
- Moira Orfei as Malva
- Maria Grazia Spina as Isabella
- Andrea Aureli as Rabek
- Andrea Scotti as Pedro
- Aldo Bufi Landi as Deikor
- Ignazio Balsamo as Joaquim
- Attilio Dottesio as General Saveria
- Loris Gizzi as Don Alvarez
- Nello Pazzafini as Rabek's Henchman
- Nazzareno Zamperla as Sadoch
From contemporary reviews, Howard Thompson of The New York Times reviewed the film under the title of Samson and the Slave Queen, describing the film as an "old-fashioned, prettily colored and costumed and pleasingly mounted dud". Thompson noted that there was no slave queen promised by the American title of the film. "Robe." of Variety declared the film to have "enough vim and vigor, thanks to a spirited performance by Pierre Brice as Zorro, to please the less-demanding beefcake-and-biceps aficionados." The rest of the review found that Lenzi focused on keeping the cast moving with emphasis on the fighting, and that the rest of the cast outside Brice was "only adequate".
- Kinnard & Crnkovich 2017, p. 145. Harv error: no target: CITEREFKinnardCrnkovich2017 (help)
- "Samson and the Slave Queen". American Film Institute. Retrieved September 17, 2016.
- Kinnard & Crnkovich 2017, p. 146. Harv error: no target: CITEREFKinnardCrnkovich2017 (help)
- Roberto Chiti; Roberto Poppi; Enrico Lancia; Mario Pecorari. Dizionario del cinema italiano. I film. Gremese Editore, 1992. ISBN 8876055932.
- Marco Giusti. Dizionario del western all'italiana. Mondadori, 2007. ISBN 8804572779.
- Thompson, Howard (March 5, 1964). "Goliath and Samson". New York Times. Retrieved September 17, 2016.
- Variety's Film Reviews 1964-1967. 11. R. R. Bowker. 1983. There are no page numbers in this book. This entry is found under the header "September 9, 1964". ISBN 0-8352-2790-1.
|This article related to an Italian film of the 1960s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an adventure film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|