Samastipur is a city and a municipality (nagar parishad) in Bihar, India. It is the headquarters of Samastipur district.It comes under Darbhanga commisenary.The Burhi Gandak River flows through the town.This is one of the five Rail Division of ECR, Hajipur.The Samastipur junction is one of the busiest station in North Bihar . .
|• Additional official||Urdu|
|Time zone||UTC+5.30 (IST)|
|Area code(s)||STD Code 06274|
As of 2011 Indian Census, Samastipur had a total population of 62,935, of which 33,025 were males and 29,910 were females. Population within the age group of 0 to 6 years was 8,252. The total number of literates in Samastipur was 46,416, which constituted 73.8% of the population with male literacy of 77.2% and female literacy of 69.9%. The effective literacy rate of 7+ population of Samastipur was 84.9%, of which male literacy rate was 88.9% and female literacy rate was 80.4%. The Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes population was 9,219 and 249 respectively. Samastipur had 12062 households in 2011.
Samastipur has several schools and colleges. Most of the colleges are affiliated to the Lalit Narayan Mithila University, Darbhanga. The Rajendra Agricultural University is located near the town, in Pusa.
Bihar State Road Transport Corporation (B.S.R.T.C) operates bus services to the neighbouring states of Jharkhand, West Bengal and Uttar Pradesh.
Samastipur Junction railway station lies in the East Central Railway zone of the Indian Railway network and provides connectivity to most of the regions of India.
- Karpoori Thakur, politician and independence activist
- Vivekanand Sinha , Inspector General of Police, Bastar range, Chhattisgarh.
- Shilpa Singh, Indian singer, dancer, model and beauty pageant titleholder
- Anukul Roy, Indian cricketeer
- N. Mandal, Indian film director, editor and producer
- Syed Shahnawaz Hussain, Indian politician, national spokesperson of Bharatiya Janata Party and former cabinet minister, he belongs from Supaul Bihar
- Bali Ram Bhagat  6th Speaker of Lok Sabha,Governor of Rajasthan ,Governor of Himachal Pradesh and 6 times represent Member of parliament from Arrah (Lok Sabha constituency)
- "Census of India: Samastipur". www.censusindia.gov.in. Retrieved 25 December 2019.
- "52nd REPORT OF THE COMMISSIONER FOR LINGUISTIC MINORITIES IN INDIA" (PDF). nclm.nic.in. Ministry of Minority Affairs. Archived from the original (PDF) on 25 May 2017. Retrieved 20 July 2019.
- Baranwal, Jigyasu. "Trains to SPJ/Samastipur Junction Station - 162 Arrivals ECR/East Central Zone - Railway Enquiry". indiarailinfo.com. Retrieved 18 February 2019.
- "IGNOU-RC-Darbhanga - StudyCentres - Annexure 1_Details of Active Learner Support Centres (LSCs) 27 NOV 19". rcdarbhanga.ignou.ac.in. Retrieved 23 December 2019.
- "bali ram bhagat". livehindustan. Retrieved 22 March 2019.