Samantha Harris (born Samantha Harris Shapiro; November 27, 1973) is an American television presenter, model, and entertainment reporter known as the co-host of seasons two through nine of Dancing with the Stars with Tom Bergeron. From 2010–12, she was a correspondent at Entertainment Tonight. In September 2015, she returned to the program as a co-anchor for the weekend edition.
Samantha Harris backstage at the 2009 Heart Truth fashion show
Samantha Harris Shapiro
November 27, 1973
Hopkins, Minnesota, U.S.
|Occupation||Television presenter, model, entertainment reporter|
Michael Hess (m. 2005); 2 children
Harris was born in Hopkins, Minnesota, to Richard, a rock 'n' roll promoter, and Bonnie (née Harris) Shapiro, a dancer. In 1982, her parents founded a renaissance festival, known as King Richard's Faire, which operates in Carver, Massachusetts, seasonally, which continues as of 2017[update]. She had a Jewish upbringing. She graduated from Northwestern University.
This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
On December 16, 2008, Harris joined The Insider as a substitute host and correspondent. She had previously been a correspondent with E! Entertainment Television's E! News, and host of THS Investigates.
In addition to writing, producing and reporting daily for E! News, she co-hosted the network's live award-show coverage for the Oscars, Golden Globes and Emmys. She has also appeared as a special correspondent on Good Morning America. Prior to joining E!, Harris served as a weekend co-host for the infotainment show Extra, where she interviewed hundreds of celebrities and served as an anchor for the show's Las Vegas bureau.
Her best known hosting job was for Dancing with the Stars along with Tom Bergeron. She took over in 2006 for Lisa Canning. Her other hosting credits include Fox's The Next Joe Millionaire and AMC Access (the short-lived spinoff of Access Hollywood produced for AMC). Additionally, she also served as a guest co-host on The View. She hosted a week of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire shows on May 11–15, 2009.
Her film and television credits include D3: The Mighty Ducks, Surviving Gilligan's Island (in which she portrayed the actress Dawn Wells), Reefer Madness, Beautiful, CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, among others.
She made her Broadway debut in 2009 as Roxie Hart in Chicago. She performed a six-week engagement in the long-running musical from July 7 through August 16 at the Ambassador Theatre. After her Broadway run, Harris played Roxie in the Greenville, SC, engagement of the national tour, August 18–23, at the Peace Center.
Harris has been a three-time cover girl model for Muscle & Fitness: HERS, and for FHM, SELF, and SHAPE magazines, and in various ads and commercials. She was featured in the December 2006 issue of FHM magazine.
In November 2007, Harris was announced as the spokesperson for Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula line, where she was featured in a national print and television campaign. That occurred as Harris won consecutive 2007 and 2008 Crown Awards for the "Best Hairstyle on Television" from voters at Super-Hair.Net.
Harris married Michael Hess in 2005. Harris gave birth to the couple's first daughter in 2007 and missed the season five premiere of Dancing with the Stars. She returned on October 15, 2007. Drew Lachey, winner of season two, filled in for the first three weeks of competition while Harris was out. Three years later, Harris delivered the couple's second daughter.
- "Samantha Harris profile". TVGuide.com. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "TV Personality Samantha Harris Has Breast Cancer". Entertainment Tonight. April 9, 2014. Archived from the original on April 12, 2014. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
...he saw me graduate from Northwestern University...; I'm 40....
- Wagmeister, Elizabeth (2015-09-28). "Samantha Harris Returning to 'Entertainment Tonight' as Weekend Co-Anchor". Variety.com. Retrieved 2016-02-06.
- "Celebrity Jews". jweekly.com. Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- Profile, okmagazine.com; accessed April 17, 2014.
- "EXCLUSIVE: Samantha Harris Leaving Dancing with the Stars". People. January 28, 2010. Archived from the original on 2010-01-31. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- Franich, Darren (March 8, 2010). "'Dancing with the Stars': Brooke Burke is the new Samantha Harris". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 25, 2019.
- "Samantha Harris To Star as Roxie Hart in CHICAGO". BroadwayWorld.com. 2009-06-22. Retrieved 2009-10-12.
- "Samantha Harris - Girls of FHM". FHM Online. Archived from the original on 2006-11-28. Retrieved 2007-11-22.
- ""Dancing with the Stars" co-host Samantha Harris is the spokesperson for Palmer's, Cocoa Butter Formula line". Rodman Publishing. November 2007. Retrieved April 26, 2011.
- "The Super-Hair Crown Awards".
- Johnson, Zach (April 9, 2014). "Samantha Harris Has Breast Cancer, Will Undergo Double Mastectomy Later This Month". E! News. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- Amy Poehler, on Amy Poehler: Night Owl No More! (2010-08-18). "Samantha Harris Welcomes Daughter". Celebritybabies.people.com. Retrieved 2011-11-08.
- Garcia, Jennifer (April 9, 2014). "Samantha Harris to Undergo Double Mastectomy". People. People.com. Retrieved April 9, 2014.
- Nudd, Tim (October 24, 2014). "Samantha Harris Is 'Elated' to Be Cancer Free". People. Retrieved October 25, 2014.