Sam Stewart (rugby league)
Samuel Weka Stewart (born 5 December 1962) is a New Zealand former professional rugby league footballer who represented New Zealand. He played for the Newcastle Knights when they first started competing in the New South Wales Rugby League premiership and became the Knights first captain.
|Full name||Samuel Weka Stewart|
|Born||5 December 1962|
Wellington, New Zealand
As of 28 February 2010
Stewart was a Wellington Rugby League player for the Randwick club. He made his senior and Wellington debut's in 1981 and was a Junior Kiwi that same year. On the Junior Kiwis 1981 tour of Australia Stewart signed a contract to play with the North Sydney Bears however later opted to instead pursue his career in the New Zealand Police. He was the New Zealand Police Triathlon champion in 1985 and was named the Police Sportsman of the year in 1987.
Stewart was named one of the Wellington Rugby League's players of the year in 1983. He toured Great Britain and France for the New Zealand Universities side. In 1984 Stewart was first selected for the Central Districts team. Stewart was part of Randwick's hat trick of Wellington Rugby League premierships between 1983 and 1985.
Stewart played for the New Zealand national rugby league team from 1985 until 1989. He was first selected for the 1985 tour of Great Britain and France, playing in eleven games on tour. He also toured Australia and Papua New Guinea in 1986 and 1987 and competed in the 1988 World Cup. Before finishing his career in 1989 with tests against Australia and a tour of Great Britain and France. Stewart finished his career having played in sixteen test matches and forty games in total.
In 1988 he was chosen for the Rest of the World side in a match against Australia during their Bicentenary celebrations.
Stewart is now based in Queensland where he did some scouting for the New Zealand Rugby League. In 2008 he participated in a bike ride from Burleigh to Bondi to raise money for prostate cancer.
In 2012 he was named in the Wellington Rugby League's Team of the Century.
- "Statistics at rugbyleagueproject.org". rugbyleagueproject.org. 31 December 2017. Retrieved 1 January 2018.
- STEWART, Samuel Weka 1985 – 89 – Kiwi #591 nzleague.co.nz
- Team of Century Week 8 Wellington Rugby League
- 1987 Lion Red Rugby League Annual, New Zealand Rugby Football League, 1987. p.56
- "Knights team of 1988 reunite". Newcastle Knights.
- Riley holds the key to a capital crusade The Independent, 19 December 1993
- Coffey, John and Bernie Wood. 100 Years: Māori Rugby League, 1908–2008, Huia Publishers, 2008. ISBN 978-1-86969-331-2
- So it is a family game, after all Sydney Morning Herald, 17 April 2004
- NZRL 2007 Annual Report
- On bike trek to Bondi Goldcoast.com, 26 July 2008