Sam Martin (American football)
Sam Joseph Martin (born February 27, 1990) is an American football punter for the Detroit Lions of the National Football League (NFL). He played college football for the Appalachian State Mountaineers, and was drafted by the Lions in the fifth round of the 2013 NFL Draft.
|No. 6 – Detroit Lions|
|Born:||February 27, 1990|
|Height:||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Weight:||205 lb (93 kg)|
|High school:||Fayetteville (GA) Starr's Mill|
|NFL Draft:||2013 / Round: 5 / Pick: 165|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics as of Week 15, 2018|
In his senior season, he was selected to the Associated Press All-America First team. He also was named to the first-team all-America by College Sports Journal and third-team all-America by The Sports Network in his Senior season.
In Week 12 of the 2015 season, Martin was awarded as the NFC Special Teams Player of the Week for 4 punts totaling 181 yards and only 3 punt return yards.
Martin signed a four-year contract extension with the Lions on September 9, 2016.
On September 2, 2017, Martin was placed on the non-football injury list after suffering an ankle injury during the offseason. He was activated to the active roster on October 28, 2017 for the team's Week 8 game against the Pittsburgh Steelers.
- "Appalachian State Mountaineers Profile". appstatesports.com.
- "Lions' Martin wins NFC award; Tulloch honored, too". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved December 3, 2015.
- Shook, Nick (September 9, 2016). "Theo Riddick, Sam Martin agree to Lions extensions". NFL.com. Retrieved October 29, 2016.
- "Lions place P Sam Martin on active/non-football injury list". DetroitLions.com. July 25, 2017. Retrieved September 5, 2017.
- "Lions establish 53-man roster". DetroitLions.com. September 2, 2017. Archived from the original on September 3, 2017.
- "Detroit Lions activate P Sam Martin for Pittsburgh Steelers game". Freep.com. October 28, 2017.