Prince Sam Amuka Pemu (born 13 June 1935) is a Nigerian journalist, columnist and publisher, who founded the Vanguard, Nigeria's leading newspaper, and was co-founder of The Punch, the most widely read newspaper in Nigeria. Sam Amuka Pemu was born in Sapele, a city in Delta State, southern Nigeria, into the family of the late Pa Amuka-Pemu and Madam Teshoma Amuka-Pemu, who died in May 2014.
Sam Amuka Pemu
|Born||13 June 1935|
|Years active||1971 – present|
|Known for||Founder of Vanguard newspaper|
He was a Daily Times of Nigeria editor and the first editor of the Sunday Punch before he established The Punch with his friend, the late Olu Aboderin, in 1971. He later established Vanguard Newspaper in 1983 with three other Nigerian columnists. Amuka was described as a "Gentleman of the Press" by President Muhammadu Buhari on his 80th birthday. He was described as an icon and a leading light in Nigerian journalism by Nduka Obaigbena, President of the Newspaper Proprietors’ Association of Nigeria. Amuka-Pemu is the oldest practising media professional in Nigeria today who had been cited by peers. A book entitled From 1939 to the Vanguard of Modern Journalism written by Kola Muslim Animasaun, who also trained under him, acknowledged his immense contributions to journalism in Nigeria.
- Agency reporter (12 June 2015). "Buhari pays tribute to Amuka-Pemu at 80". The Nation. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Robbery Attack: I Was Shaken — Vanguard Publisher, Sam Amuka-Pemu", PM News, 18 August 2011.
- "Sam Amuka Loses Mum". ThisDay Live. Archived from the original on 15 June 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Jonathan Mourns Gombe Emir *Kutigi's wife, Amuka-Pemu's mom too". Metro Watch. 28 May 2014. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Uduaghan consoles 'Sad Sam' over mother's death". Vanguard News. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Buhari Pays Tribute to Sam Amuka-Pemu at 80E". ThisDay Live. Archived from the original on 15 June 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Buhari felicitates with Sam Amuka at 80". NigerianNation. 13 June 2015. Archived from the original on 16 June 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "Buhari eulogises Sam Amuka at 80". The Punch. Archived from the original on 15 June 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- Agbo-Paul Augustine, George Agba (13 June 2015). "PMB Hails Amuka-Pemu On 80th Birthday". Leadership Newspaper. Retrieved 16 June 2015.
- "1939 to the Vanguard of Modern Journalism". Vanguard News. 8 July 2012. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- "Ajimobi, Tinubu urge journalists to be fearless". The Punch. Archived from the original on 15 June 2015. Retrieved 16 June 2015.