Salma Zahid MP is an English-born Pakistani-Canadian politician, who was elected as a Member of Parliament in the House of Commons of Canada to represent the federal riding of Scarborough Centre during the 2015 Canadian federal election. She succeeded the Conservative Roxanne James.
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for Scarborough Centre
|Assumed office |
October 19, 2015
|Preceded by||Roxanne James|
|Born||Coventry, England, UK|
|Residence||Scarborough, Toronto, Ontario|
|Alma mater||University of London|
|Awards||Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal|
Zahid was born in Coventry, England. She holds a Masters in Educational Management and Administration from the University of London’s Institute of Education, and an MBA from Quaid e Azam University in Pakistan. She is Pakistani Canadian, mother of 2 and has resided in Scarborough since 2000. She is a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal.
In February 2018, Zahid announced that she was taking medical leave to treat her Stage 4 Non-Hodgkin lymphoma. This was used by the Scarborough Centre Conservative Party of Canada Riding Association Vice President to sell memberships via robocall. While recovering from chemotherapy treatment, Zahid wore a hijab for personal reasons, saying that she had grown closer to her Islamic faith while facing cancer. In May 2018, she became the first MP to wear a hijab in the House of Commons. In July 2018, after completing six rounds of chemotherapy, Zahid was cancer-free and returned to her job.
|Canadian federal election, 2015: Scarborough Centre|
|New Democratic||Alex Wilson||5,227||11.6||-19.06||$24,264.68|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||45,029||100.00||+22.33||$203,985.80|
|Total rejected ballots||407||0.90||+0.33|
|Liberal gain from Conservative||Swing||+10.39%|
- "Liberal candidate Salma Zahid wins Scarborough Centre". Toronto Star. October 19, 2015.
- "Biography: Salma Zahid". Liberal Party of Canada. October 15, 2016.
- "Two Pakistani women emerge victorious in Canadian general elections". ARY News. October 20, 2015.
- "Scarborough area Liberal MPs endorse John Tory".
- Aiello, Rachel (August 22, 2018). "'A new low': Conservative robocall tries to exploit Liberal MP's cancer diagnosis". CTV News. Retrieved August 24, 2018.
- Massa, Ginella (August 21, 2018). "Scarborough MP responds to criticism over wearing hijab, says she's recovering from cancer". CityNews Toronto. Retrieved September 1, 2018.