Salem Media Group
Salem Media Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: SALM; formerly Salem Communications Corporation) is an American radio broadcaster, Internet content provider, and magazine and book publisher based in Camarillo, California, targeting audiences interested in Christian values and what it describes as "family-themed content and conservative values." In addition to its radio properties, the company owns Salem Radio Network, which syndicates talk, news and music programing to approximately 2,400 affiliates; Salem Media Representatives, a radio advertising company; Salem Web Network, an Internet provider of Christian content and online streaming with over 100 Christian content and conservative opinion websites; and Salem Publishing, a publisher of Christian themed magazines. Salem owns 117 radio stations in 38 markets, including 60 stations in the top 25 markets and 29 in the top 10, making it tied with CBS Radio for fifth-largest radio broadcaster. FamilyTalk is a Christian-themed talk format on Sirius XM Radio Channel 131. Additionally, Salem owns conservative websites Townhall.com, RedState, Hot Air, and PJ Media, as well as Twitter aggregator Twitchy.
|Traded as||NASDAQ: SALM (Class A)|
Russell Microcap Index component
Commercial radio broadcasting
|Genre||Radio broadcasting, publishing, internet content provider|
Edward Atsinger III
4880 Santa Rosa Road,
|Revenue||$262.78 million (2018)|
Number of employees
The company was founded by Stuart Epperson and Edward G. Atsinger III and, unlike many Christian broadcasters, is a for-profit corporation. This allows it to buy stations in the commercial radio band which are often higher-powered than those of the FM non-commercial band, and to accept commercial advertising.
Ed Atsinger (Chief Executive Officer) and Stu Epperson (Chairman of the Board) combined their radio assets to create Salem Communications. Beginning with stations in North Carolina and California, Atsinger and Epperson purchased station properties in Boston, San Antonio, New York, San Francisco, Portland, Los Angeles and other markets, converting them to Christian talk stations. In the 1990s, they expanded formats to include contemporary Christian music (with most stations under this format branded as "The Fish"), news talk (branded as "The Answer"), Spanish-language Christian content and most recently[when?], business programming.
Many of Salem's stations are licensed to subsidiaries, organized by geographical area and media cluster as the company has acquired new stations and their previous licensees.
Salem Communications Corp acquired Twitter curation site, Twitchy.com. In January 2014, the Company announced the acquisition of the assets of Eagle Publishing, including Regnery Publishing, Human Events, and RedState, as well as sister companies Eagle Financial Publications and Eagle Wellness.
In 2015, Salem Media Group expanded their digital platform with acquisitions of several businesses and assets, including DividendYieldHunter.com, Stockinvestor.com; DividendInvestor.com, a Spanish Bible mobile app, along with its related website and Facebook properties; the DailyBible mobile app; the Daily Bible Devotion mobile app; and also Bryan Perry's Newsletters.
In 2016, Salem Media Group continued to expand by acquiring the websites ChristianConcertAlerts.com, Historyonthenet.com and Authentichistory.com; as well as Mike Turner's line of investment products, including TurnerTrends.com; the Retirement Watch newsletter and website, Retirementwatch.com; and the King James Bible mobile application. Salem Media Group also acquired Mill City Press from Hillcrest Publishing Group, Inc.
In July 2017, Salem Media Group merged DividendYieldHunter.com and transferred all content into DividendInvestor.com.
Radio stations and licenseesEdit
Salem's radio stations are organized into six categories: Christian Talk, News Talk (shown as Conservative Talk on their website), Contemporary Christian Music, Spanish Language, Business Talk, and a grouping of other stations not in one of those five categories.
Salem's radio stations and licensees include:
|KBIQ||FM||102.7||Contemporary Christian Music||Colorado Springs|
|KSKY||AM||660||News Talk||Dallas/Fort Worth|
Inspiration Media, Inc.
|KNTS||1680||Spanish Christian radio|
New Inspiration Broadcasting Co., Inc.
|KCBQ||AM||1170||News Talk||San Diego|
|KFSH-FM||FM||95.9||Contemporary Christian Music||Los Angeles|
|KKLA-FM||99.5||Christian radio||Los Angeles|
|KRLA||870||News Talk||Los Angeles|
Salem Communications Holding Corporation
Inspiration Media of Texas, LLC.
|KTNO||AM||620||Spanish Christian||Dallas/Fort Worth|
|KLTY||FM||94.9||Contemporary Christian Music|
Reach Satellite Network, Inc.
|WBOZ||FM||104.9||Contemporary Christian Music||Nashville|
Salem Media of Massachusetts, LLC.
|WFHM-FM||FM||95.5||Contemporary Christian Music||Cleveland|
|WWTC||1280||News Talk||Minneapolis/St Paul|
Salem Media of Colorado, Inc.
|KBJD||AM||1650||Spanish Christian radio||Denver/Boulder|
Salem Media of Hawaii, Inc.
|KAIM-FM||FM||95.5||Contemporary Christian Music||Honolulu|
Salem Media of Illinois, LLC.
Salem Media of Kentucky, Inc.
Salem Media of New York, LLC.
|WMCA||AM||570||Christian radio||New York City|
Salem Media of Ohio, Inc.
Salem Media of Oregon, Inc.
Salem Media of Texas, Inc.
|KSLR||AM||630||Christian radio||San Antonio|
Salem Media of Virginia, Inc.
|WAVA||AM||780||Christian radio||Washington D.C.|
SCA -Palo Alto, LLC.
Salem Radio NetworkEdit
Salem Radio Network is a satellite radio network serving general market News/Talk stations and Christian-formatted stations through affiliate partnerships serving more than 2,700 radio stations. The five major divisions are SRN Talk, SRN News, Salem Music Network, Salem Media Reps and Vista Media Reps and SRN Satellite Services.
- SRN Talk produces general market News/Talk shows featuring nationally syndicated hosts Mike Gallagher, Dennis Prager, Michael Medved, Hugh Hewitt, and Joe Walsh. It also produces Christian market programming featuring The Eric Metaxas Show.
- SRN News is a news source for conservative and Christian radio serving over 2,000 affiliates.
- Salem Music Network has three satellite offerings – Contemporary Christian, Praise and Southern Gospel.
- Salem Media Reps specializes in Christian, family-themed and conservative media, radio, online, print and mobile.
- SRN Satellite Services provides satellite distribution and production services to over 70 organizations and ministries.
Salem's flagship publication, CCM Magazine, was in the Christian music industry for more than 25 years. Salem no longer prints CCM Magazine, but it still exists in an online-only format. Other magazine publications include Singing News Magazine, which discusses happenings involving the Southern gospel community.
Salem Author ServicesEdit
Under the umbrella of Salem Author Service are Xulon Press, Mill City Press and the websites Bookprinting.com, Bookediting.com, Publishgreen.com and Libertyhill.com.
Xulon Press is a self-publishing digital publisher of books targeting a Christian audience. They use print on demand technologies that store books electronically and print them only as they are ordered. Xulon was founded by Christian author and publisher Tom Freiling and was acquired by Salem in 2006.
Salem Español OnlineEdit
Salem owns a collection of Spanish language sites that provide a variety of Christian and family-friendly resources online. A few of those sites are CristoTarjetas.com; ElsitioCristiano.com; BibliaVida.com and LuzMundial.com.
The founders of Salem Communications supports various religious causes. In 2005, Epperson was reported in Time magazine as one of the "25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America". In 2004 he co-chaired "Americans of Faith", a religiously based Republican electoral campaign. Both founders have served on the Council for National Policy. They gave $100,000 to the Bush presidential reelection campaign and $780,000 to the 2000 "California Defense of Marriage Act" (Proposition 22) ballot measure.
- "Salem Media Group Company Profile". Craft. Retrieved 23 October 2019.
- "About Us - Salem Media Group". salem.cc.
- "Contemporary Christian Music - Station Formats - Salem Media Group". salem.cc.
- "History - Salem Media Group". salem.cc.
- "SALM acquisition of Twitchy.com". Archived from the original on 2014-03-25.
- Salem rebrands to Salem Media Group – Radio Ink Magazine Archived 2015-09-24 at the Wayback Machine
- "Salem Communications Corporation renamed to Salem Media Group". Radioandmusic.com. 23 February 2015.
- "Salem Media Group Announces Acquisition of DividendYieldHunter.com". Cision PR Newswire. November 2, 2015. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "StockInvestor.com - Salem Media Group". salemmedia.com.
- "Salem Media Group Announces Acquisition of DividendInvestor.com".
- "Salem Media Group Announces Acquisition of Mike Turner's Line of Investment Products". Cision PR Newswire. October 27, 2016. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Salem Media Group Announces Acquisition of Bob Carlson's Retirement Watch Newsletter". Cision PR Newswire. April 4, 2016. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Welcome Dividend Yield Hunter Readers". Dividend Investor. July 11, 2017. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Wemple, Erik (1 March 2019). "Breitbart alum to resuscitate Human Events". The Washington Post. Retrieved 17 May 2019.
- "Station Lists - Salem Media Group". salemmedia.com.
- "SRN – About Us". November 14, 2017. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- "Salem Radio Network - Salem Media Group". salem.cc.
- Salem Publishing – Salem.cc[permanent dead link]
- "Xulon Press - Salem Media Group". salemmedia.com.
- "Salem Communications Announces an 8.8% Increase in Second Quarter 2006 Total Revenue - Salem Media Investor Center". investor.salemmedia.com.
- "Stuart Epperson – The 25 Most Influential Evangelicals in America". Time. February 7, 2005. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- "A Higher Frequency". Mother Jones. Retrieved December 10, 2011.