Sale tram stop
Sale is a tram stop on the Altrincham Line of the Metrolink light-rail system in Sale, Greater Manchester, England. It opened on 15 June 1992 as part of Phase 1 of Metrolink's expansion. Prior to this it was a railway station.
Sale is one of the network’s converted heavy-rail stations
Location of Sale in Greater Manchester
|Fare zone information|
|Present status||In operation|
London Midland Region of British Railways
|Opened||20 July 1849|
|Closed as rail station||24 December 1991|
|Conversion to Metrolink operation||15 June 1992|
|Former name||Sale Moor (1856)|
Sale & Ashton on Mersey (1883)
The station originally opened as Sale on 20 July 1849 by the Manchester, South Junction and Altrincham Railway (MSJAR). Renamed as Sale Moor in 1856, as Sale & Ashton on Mersey in 1883 and as Sale in 1931. Closed as a British Rail station on 24 December 1991. Reopened as a Metrolink station on 15 June 1992.
Sale is on the Altrincham Line with trams towards Altrincham stopping every 6 minutes during the day, Mondays to Saturdays, every 12 minutes Monday to Saturday evenings and Sundays. Trams also head towards Manchester and Bury, with the Monday to Saturday daytime service running every 12 minutes each to Etihad Campus or Bury, while evening and Sundays journeys run to Etihad Campus only with journeys to Bury requiring a change of trams at Piccadilly Gardens.
- 10 trams per hour to Altrincham (5 offpeak)
- 5 trams per hour to Bury (peak only)
- 5 trams per hour to Piccadilly
As of January 2019, Sale is located in Metrolink ticket zone 3.
Connecting bus routesEdit
Sale station is well served by bus services, due to the close proximity to the town centre, with several services stopping outside the station and some services stopping around the town centre.
Services that stop outside the station:
- Arriva North West service 19 to Altrincham via Ashton-upon-Mersey
- Arriva 19 and 19A to Wythenshawe town centre, with early morning buses extended to Manchester Airport 
- First Greater Manchester service 41 to Manchester Piccadilly via Northenden and Fallowfield 
- Diamond Bus North West service 278 to Manchester Albert Square, via Stretford and Hulme
- Diamond service 278 to Reddish, via Wythenshawe, Northenden, and Didsbury 
- Diamond service 281 to Altrincham, via Brooklands and Timperley
- Manchester Community Transport service X5 to Stockport via Sharston
- Manchester Community Transport service X5 to Trafford Centre via Stretford 
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MtBqQBL5go at 0:14
- "Metrolink - Tram Times - Sale". Metrolink. Retrieved 13 February 2013.
- "Metrolink ticket zones map". TfGM. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Network Maps". Transport for Greater Manchester. Archived from the original on 2 November 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2012.
- "Buses: 19 19A" (PDF). Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- "Bus 41" (PDF). Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- "Bus 278" (PDF). Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
- "Bus X5" (PDF). Transport for Greater Manchester. Retrieved 6 December 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sale Metrolink station.|
|Preceding station||Manchester Metrolink||Following station|
|Altrincham – Bury Line||
|Altrincham – Piccadilly Line||
Line and station open
|Cheshire Lines Committee
Line and station closed
|BR (London Midland Region)
|Manchester Oxford Road|
Line closed, station open