Sadleirian Professor of Pure Mathematics
The Sadleirian Professorship of Pure Mathematics (originally in the statutes and for the first two professors, Sadlerian) is a professorship in pure mathematics within the DPMMS at the University of Cambridge. It was founded on a bequest from Lady Mary Sadleir for lectureships "for the full and clear explication and teaching that part of mathematical knowledge commonly called algebra". She died in 1706 and lectures began in 1710 but eventually these failed to attract undergraduates. In 1860 the foundation was used to establish the professorship. On 10 June 1863 Arthur Cayley was elected with the statutory duty "to explain and teach the principles of pure mathematics, and to apply himself to the advancement of that science." The stipend attached to the professorship was modest although it improved in the course of subsequent legislation.
List of Sadleirian Lecturers of Pure MathematicsEdit
List of Sadleirian Professors of Pure MathematicsEdit
- Encyclopædia Britannica, 15th edition
- Piaggio, H. T. H. (1931). "Three Sadleirian Professors: A. R. Forsyth, E. W. Hobson and G. H. Hardy". The Mathematical Gazette. 15 (215): 461. doi:10.2307/3606220. JSTOR 3606220.
- Piaggio, H. "Three Sadleirian Professors: A.R. Forsyth, E.W. Hobson and G.H. Hardy". MacTutor History of Mathematics archive. St. Andrews University. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Searching for Surname=STEPHENSON; Forename=lawrence". A Cambridge Alumni Database.
- "Searching for Surname=SCRATCHLEY; Forename=arthur". A Cambridge Alumni Database.
- "Searching for Surname=REYNER; Forename=george". A Cambridge Alumni Database.
- "A Cambridge Alumni Database". A Cambridge Alumni Database.
- "Searching for Surname=GREEN; Forename=william charles". A Cambridge Alumni Database.
- Obituary Notices of Fellows Deceased. (1895). Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, 58, I-Lx. Retrieved from https://www.jstor.org/stable/115800 (Obituary of Arthur Cayley written by Andrew Forsyth).
- University of Cambridge DPMMS https://web.archive.org/web/20160624155328/http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/offices/academic/secretary/professorships/sadleirian.pdf