Sa'ar 6-class corvette
The Sa'ar 6-class corvette is a class of four German-made warships ordered for the Israeli Navy in May 2015. The ships' design will be loosely based on the German Braunschweig-class corvette, but with engineering changes to accommodating Israeli-built sensors and missiles such as the Barak 8 and the naval Iron Dome system. Elbit Systems has been awarded the contract to design and build the Electronic Warfare (EW) suites for the ships.
Scale model of the Sa'ar 6
|Name:||Sa'ar 6 class|
|Preceded by:||Sa'ar 5 class|
|Displacement:||2,000 long tons (2,000 t)|
|Length:||90 m (295 ft 3 in)|
|Sensors and |
|EL/M-2248 MF-STAR AESA radar|
All four vessels will be constructed in Germany in a joint project by German Naval Yards Holdings and ThyssenKrupp Marine Systems. The first of the class is scheduled to get delivered in 2019. Construction cost is estimated at NIS 1.8 billion Israeli new shekel (NIS) or roughly 430-million Euro ($480-million). Israel will pay for two thirds of the cost and the German Government will subsidize a third of the corvettes' construction costs, as with the Dolphin-class submarines.
One of their roles will be to protect natural gas platforms in the Mediterranean Sea against possible sea-borne or rocket threats. The Lebanese Hezbollah group alleges that Israel's gas fields lie in Palestinian waters. It has threatened to target Israeli gas platforms.
The Sa'ar 6 has a displacement of 2,000 tons and is 90 m (295 ft 3 in) long. It is armed with an Oto Melara 76 mm main gun, two Typhoon Weapon Stations, 32 vertical launch cells for Barak-8 surface-to-air missiles, the C-Dome point defense system, 16 anti-ship missiles, the EL/M-2248 MF-STAR AESA radar, and two 324 mm torpedo launchers. It has hangar space and a platform able to accommodate a medium class SH-60-type helicopter.
In 2018, it was announced that the first female recruits had been selected to serve on the ships.
- Opall-Rome, Barbara (August 4, 2016), "Israeli Navy Marks Milestones at German Shipyards", Defense news.
- "Elbit Systems to supply EW suites for the Israeli Navy Sa'ar 6-class corvettes] Aug 7, 2018", Defence (blog).
- Azulai, Yuval (11 May 2015). "Israel signs €430m deal for German patrol vessels". Globes. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- "Israel to arm warships with Iron Dome system to protect gas reserves at sea". i24news. 13 December 2015. Retrieved 1 May 2016.
- Zitun, Yoav (11 May 2015). "Major deal: Israel to purchase four patrol ships from Germany to defend gas rigs". ynet. Retrieved 14 May 2015.
- Yaniv Kubovich, "Israel Assesses Hezbollah Can Now Strike Its Offshore Gas Platforms", Haaretz, 4 January 2018
- "Design of Future TKMS Built Saar 6 MEKO A100 Corvettes for Israeli Navy Unveiled", Navy recognition, 23 August 2015.
- AHRONHEIM, Anna (November 28, 2018), "First six female recruits enlist to serve on Navy's new Sa'ar 6 missile ships", The Jerusalem Post.
- "Germany says it will help finance four new Israeli warships". Israel Hayom. December 16, 2014. Retrieved June 24, 2016 – via Reuters.
- LAPPIN, Yaakov (May 26, 2016). "How navy engineers made the next missile ship stealthy". Jerusalem Post. Retrieved July 5, 2016.
|This naval article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Israel Defense Forces-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|