The Brussels Intercommunal Transport Company (French: Société des Transports Intercommunaux de Bruxelles or STIB; Dutch: Maatschappij voor het Intercommunaal Vervoer te Brussel or MIVB) is the local public transport operator in Brussels, Belgium. It is usually referred to in English by the double acronym STIB-MIVB, or by its French acronym, STIB.
|Brussels Intercommunal Transport Company|
Société des Transports Intercommunaux de Bruxelles (STIB)
Maatschappij voor het Intercommunaal Vervoer te Brussel (MIVB)
|Transit type||Tram, Bus and Metro|
|Annual ridership||400.9 million (2017)|
It is responsible for the Brussels metro, Brussels trams and Brussels buses, linking with the De Lijn network in Flanders and the TEC network in Wallonia.
History and operationEdit
Founded in 1954, STIB operates 4 metro lines, 17 tram lines and 55 bus lines, along with 11 "Noctis" bus lines (as of April 2023). It covers the 19 communes of the Brussels Capital Region and some surface routes extend to the near suburbs in the other regions. 329 million trips were made in 2011, a 5.6% increase from the previous year. Ridership has increased sharply in recent years to 370 million trips in 2015. Peak ridership was attained in 2019 with 427.5 million journeys. During the covid crisis, ridership dropped below 250 million in 2020. Ridership is recovering slowly, with 273.8 million journeys in 2021 (64% of ridership recorded in 2019).
In 1991, STIB had a farebox recovery ratio of 28%. In 2009, following annual increases of 1.56% in passenger journeys and 2.4% in direct revenue, fares covered 54.8% of operating costs.
STIB is a shareholder of Transamo, a transport engineering and consultancy firm in Europe that specialises in the project management of public transport projects in France. Transdev is the other major shareholder of Transamo.
- ^ "STIB – Activity report". 2017.stib-activityreports.brussels.
- ^ "STIB - Société des Transports Intercommunaux de Bruxelles". www.stib-mivb.be.
- ^ "Network Maps". STIB-MIVB. Retrieved 2023-04-27.
- ^ "329 millions de voyages pour la Stib en 2011: +5,6 %". La Capitale.be. Retrieved 8 February 2012.
- ^ "Key figures". Stib.be. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- ^ "Customers | STIB - Activity report 2021". 2021.stib-activityreports.brussels. Retrieved 2023-04-27.
- ^ "Lessons from Japanese Experiences of Roles of Public and Private Sectors in Urban Transport" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2006-10-08. Retrieved 2014-01-05.
- ^ "Light Rail Portfolio of Expertise (2017)" (PDF). Transdev. Archived (PDF) from the original on 22 January 2018. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- ^ "Bus Rapid Transit Portfolio of Expertise (2017)" (PDF). Transdev. Archived (PDF) from the original on 22 January 2018. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- ^ "Passenger Rail Portfolio of Expertise (2017)" (PDF). Transdev. Archived (PDF) from the original on 22 January 2018. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- ^ "Transdev Annual Report 2008" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 16 October 2009. Retrieved 28 January 2018.
- ^ "Who are we?". Transamo. Retrieved 21 January 2018.