Star Vijay, commonly known as Vijay TV, is an Indian Tamil pay television general entertainment channel that was launched in 1994 by N. P. V. Ramasamy Udayar. The channel is owned by Star India Wholly owned by The Walt Disney Company India. The channel broadcasts from Kochar Jade, Guindy, Chennai, Tamil Nadu. Star Vijay changed hands several times before being partly acquired by the Star TV network in 2001.
|Headquarters||Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India|
|Picture format||1080i HDTV|
(downscaled to letterboxed 576i for the SDTV feed)
|Key people||Krishnan Kutty (Business Head)
Balachandran Rathinavel (Channel Head)Pradeep Milroy Peter (Programming Head)
|Sister channels||Vijay Super|
Star Vijay Music
|Launched||24 November 1994|
|Former names||Golden Eagle Communication (GEC) (until 1995)
Vijay TV (1995-2001)Star Vijay(2001- since now)
|Website||Star Vijay on Disney+ Hotstar|
|Asianet Digital||Channel 202 (SD)|
Channel 804 (HD)
|SCV||Channel 75 (SD)|
Channel 905 (HD)
|Kerala Vision||Channel 62 (SD)|
Channel 881 (HD)
|Airtel Digital TV||Channel 758 (SD)|
Channel 759 (HD)
|Dish TV & d2h||channel 2861(SD)|
Channel 2860 (HD)
|Zuku TV (Kenya)||Channel 944|
|Sun Direct||Channel 038 (SD)|
Channel 803 (HD)
|Tata Sky||Channel 1508 (SD)|
Channel 1507 (HD)
The channel was first launched by N. P. V. Ramasamy Udayar on 24 November 1994, as Golden Eagle Communication (GEC). United Breweries Group acquired the channel in 1995 and renamed it as Vijay TV. The UTV Group bought the controlling interest from United Breweries Group in 1999 for ₹180 million. In 2001, Star India took over the channel and rebranded it as Star Vijay. Star acquired 51 percent stake in Vijay TV with UTV holding the remaining 49 percent. In 2004, UTV Software Communications offloaded its entire 44 percent stake in Vijay TV to Star India for ₹31 crores.
Logo from 2001 to 2017. The old logo discontinued before telecasting the Bigg Boss Tamil Season 1
|Star Vijay||General Entertainment||SD+HD|
|Star Vijay Super||Movies||SD||HD Feed Launching on 25 Dec 2021|
|Star Vijay Music||Music|
|VIJAY TV International||General Entertainment|
When Star India took over the channel from UTV Communications, the channel's revenue, shares and advertising rates increased. A revamp in 2017 brought with it a new logo and the launch of Bigg Boss Tamil, after which the audience share of the channel—which had been 10%-15%—increased by 10%, being the second most-watched Tamil television channel.
In week 48 of 2020, Star Vijay became the most watched Tamil GEC in prime time for the first time while being the second most watched Tamil GEC overall after Sun TV. In week 50, it garnered its highest viewership ratings of 7,14,002 AMAs (average minute audience (in hundreds)) being the fifth most watched Indian television channel.
- "Star buys UTV in Vijay TV - Times of India". The Times of India.
- "From Booze To News". Outlook India.
- "Why UTV bought Vijay TV". Indian Television.
- February 15, G. C. SHEKHAR; February 15, 1996 ISSUE DATE; May 28, 1996UPDATED; Ist, 2013 15:08. "New satellite channels exploit public fixation in Tamil Nadu". India Today.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Star, UTV to sign a deal on Vijay TV handover Wednesday?". Indian Television.
- "Vijay TV relaunch date fixed". Indian Televison.
- "Star India buys out UTV's stake in Vijay TV". Economic Times.
- "Star restructuring Vijay TV - Exchange4media". Indian Advertising Media & Marketing News – exchange4media.
- "UTV sells Vijay TV pie to Star". Rediff.
- "STAR launches Star One and Vijay in Hong Kong". Live Mint. 16 March 2007.
- "Star Vijay launches Vijay HD". The Times of India. 5 June 2016. Retrieved 26 July 2016.
- "Vijay Super to be revamped as Tamil movie channel". Television Post.
- "Broadcasters see value in new channel launches despite covid". Live Mint. 23 October 2020.
- "Bigg Boss Tamil Season 4 premiere: Kamal Haasan adds some color to grim 2020". India Today.
- "Vijay Tv Revenues Increase Post-Star Alliance". Business Standard India. 29 July 2002.
- Kandavel, Sangeetha; Vijayakumar, Sanjay (9 August 2017). "Vijay TV gets a 'Bigg' viewership bump". The Hindu.
- "Hindi GEC viewership dips due as IPL 2020 begins". The Economic Times. 6 October 2020. Archived from the original on 15 December 2020. Retrieved 15 December 2020.
- "WEEK 50 - DATA: Saturday, 12th December 2020 To Friday, 18th December 2020". Broadcast Audience Research Council. Archived from the original on 31 December 2020.