This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
The Single European Sky ATM Research 3 Joint Undertaking is an institutionalised European public-private partnership, established in 2021, to accelerate through research and development the delivery of the Digital European Sky, as part of the SESAR project. Initiated in 2004, the SESAR project is the technological arm of the EU's Single European Sky initiative to integrate EU Member States' ATM systems. Bringing together the EU, Eurocontrol, and more than 50 organisations covering the entire aviation value chain, including drones, this European partnership is investing more than EUR 1.6 billion between now and 2030 to accelerate, through research and innovation, the delivery of an inclusive, resilient and sustainable Digital European Sky.
|SESAR 3 JU|
|Joint Undertaking overview|
|Headquarters||Avenue de Cortenbergh 100 |
50°50′41″N 4°23′19″E / 50.844710°N 4.388730°ECoordinates: 50°50′41″N 4°23′19″E / 50.844710°N 4.388730°E
|Joint Undertaking executive|
Advancing innovations applied today in the digital economy will result in a radical transformation of Europe’s aviation infrastructure, making air transport smarter, more sustainable, connected and accessible to all. Transforming the infrastructure that supports European aviation cannot be done by any one organisation or country. It requires close collaboration between all the stakeholders that contribute to it, from the European and national decision-makers that regulate it, the organisations and staff that operate it, to the academic and industry stakeholders that research, design and manufacture it. A public-private partnership that is strongly linked to policy and regulation through an institutional partnership offers the best means to coordinate all the stakeholders, pooling the critical mass of resources and expertise needed to deliver the Digital European Sky.
The SESAR 3 JU builds on the work and achievements of earlier SESAR research and innovation programmes (SESAR 1 and SESAR 2020), but seeks to accelerate the market uptake of innovative solutions through a portfolio of demonstrators and a fast-track mechanism. The partnership acts as a catalyst for speeding up the transition towards a green, climate neutral and digital Europe, and for making European industry more resilient and competitive.
The research programme of the SESAR JU is designed as an innovation pipeline, made up of exploratory research, industrial research and validation and Digital Sky Demonstrators, where ideas are transformed into tangible solutions. These are underpinned by an innovation and market uptake fast-track to get things moving! Calls related to the programme are launched within the framework of the EU’s Horizon Europe or Connecting Europe Facility funding programmes. These are open to private and public ‘for-profit’ and ‘not-for-profit’ organisations, including large enterprises and SMEs, research and technology organisations (RTOs), universities, associations, and any other type of legal entity interested in the SESAR 3 JU’s activities.
The SESAR Joint 3 Undertaking, was created under Community law  on 21 November 2021.
Funding and budgetEdit
The SESAR 3 JU is co-funded by the European Union through the Horizon Europe research and innovation programme and industry as follows: • Horizon Europe - EUR 600 million • Eurocontrol – up to EUR 500 million (in-kind and financial contributions) • Industry - EUR 500 million minimum (in-kind and financial contributions) In addition, the Digital European Sky programme will benefit from funding for its demonstrators from the Connecting Europe Facility (in coordination with European Climate, Infrastructure and Environment Executive Agency) to the value of at least EUR 200 million.
- Aeroporti di Roma
- Paris Aéroport
- Air France
- Air Navigation Services Czech Republic (ANS CR)
- Airbus SAS
- Airtel ATN Limited
- Alliance for New Mobility Europe (AME)
- Athens International Airport
- Austro Control
- Brussels Airport Company
- Centro Italiano Ricerche Aerospaziali (C.I.R.A.)
- Croatia Control
- Deutsche Lufthansa
- Deutsches Zentrum fur Luft- und Raumfahrt e.V. (DLR)
- DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung
- The French State – Ministry for an ecological transition, Direction générale de l’aviation civile (DGAC), Direction des services de la navigation aérienne
- Drone Alliance Europe
- Ecole Nationale de l’Aviation Civile (ENAC)
- Flughafen München
- Indra Sistemas
- Irish Aviation Authority
- Copenhagen Airport
- Leonardo S.p.A
- Prague Airport
- Luchtverkeersleiding Nederland
- Navegação Aérea de Portugal
- Nederlands Lucht- en Ruimtevaartcentrum
- Pipistrel Vertical Solutions
- Polish Air Navigation Services Agency
- Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
- Società Esercizi Aeroportuali
- Collins Aerospace
- VTT Technical Research Centre of Finland
SESAR JU staffEdit
The SESAR 3 Joint Undertaking is composed of around 40 staff. Andreas Boschen is the current executive director, previous executive directors include Florian Guillermet, now Managing Director of Direction des Services de la navigation aérienne, and Patrick Ky now at EASA.
- ^ a b "SESAR Joint Undertaking | History". www.sesarju.eu. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- ^ "SESAR Joint Undertaking | Partnering for smarter aviation". www.sesarju.eu. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- ^ Council Regulation (EU) 2021/2085 of 19 November 2021 establishing the Joint Undertakings under Horizon Europe and repealing Regulations (EC) No 219/2007, (EU) No 557/2014, (EU) No 558/2014, (EU) No 559/2014, (EU) No 560/2014, (EU) No 561/2014 and (EU) No 642/2014 
- ^ "Pasajeros".
- ^ https://www.ans.cz/
- ^ https://airtel-atn.com/
- ^ "Alliance for New Mobility in Europe". mobilityalliance.eu. Archived from the original on 23 March 2021.
- ^ "The Company | Brussels Airport".
- ^ "CIRA".
- ^ "Crocontrol - Hrvatska kontrola zračne plovidbe".
- ^ "Startseite".
- ^ "DFS Deutsche Flugsicherung GMBH".
- ^ https://dronealliance.eu/
- ^ "ENAC | Ecole Nationale de l'Aviation Civile".
- ^ https://en.hungarocontrol.hu/
- ^ https://www.lfv.se/
- ^ https://www.romatsa.ro/
- ^ "SESAR Joint Undertaking | Andreas Boschen begins mandate as SESAR 3 JU Executive Director".
- ^ "SESAR Joint Undertaking | SESAR JU Executive Director announces departure".