SBM Bank (Kenya) Limited, previously known as Fidelity Commercial Bank Limited, is a commercial bank in Kenya, the largest economy in the East African Community. It is licensed by the Central Bank of Kenya, the country's central bank and national banking regulator.
Chief Executive Officer
A J Smiles
Chief Operating Officer
|Products||Loans, Savings, Checking, Investments, Debit Cards, Credit Cards|
|Revenue||(After-tax): US$12.41 million (KSh1.241 billion) (2018)|
|Total assets||US$706.23 million (KSh70.65 billion) (2018)|
Number of employees
The bank is a medium-sized retail bank, serving mainly the urban areas of Nairobi and Mombasa. As of December 2018[update], SBM Bank Kenya had an asset base of KSh70,647,739,000 (approx. US$706.23 million), with shareholder's equity of KSh6,937,506,000 (approx. US$69.35 million). After the Chase Bank acquisition in 2018, SBM Kenya accounted for 2.4 percent of all banking assets in the country. The total assets inherited from Chase Bank in 2018, were valued at approximately US$600 million.
The institution was incorporated in 1988 as African Finance Company. In 1992, the finance company re-branded as Fidelity Finance Limited. In 1996, the institution re branded again as Fidelity Commercial Bank Limited, having been granted a banking license by the Central Bank of Kenya, the national banking regulator.
In November 2016, SEM listed SBM Group announced that it has reached an agreement to acquire a majority stake in the bank. This process was concluded in May 2017 and the bank's name was changed to SBM Bank (Kenya) Limited.
In April 2018, SBM Holdings of Mauritius concluded the acquisition of the majority of assets and liabilities of Chase Bank Kenya Limited, which had been under receivership since April 2016. It is expected that those assets and liabilities, together with the 1,300 Chase Bank employees, in about 62 branches, will be absorbed in SBM Bank Kenya.
SBM Bank (Kenya) is a privately held institution. It is a subsidiary of Mauritian based SBM Holdings. One other shareholder is the private equity firm Duet Group of the United Kingdom, which acquired its shareholding in March 2016 for KSh1.9 billion (approx. US$19 million).
James Birnie, one of the non-executive directors of the bank, serves as the chairman of the seven-member board of directors.
Purchase of Chase Bank KenyaEdit
In January 2018, Kenyan regulators accepted the offer by SBM Holdings to acquire 75 percent of the assets and liabilities of Chase Bank Kenya Limited, which was under receivership at the time. It is expected that the new acquisitions will be merged with the existing operations of SBM Kenya Limited. That acquisition began in April 2018, with conclusion planned for August 2018.
- ^ Omusolo, Moses (18 November 2015). "Fidelity Commercial Bank announces plans to build Sh700 million head office". Daily Nation. Nairobi. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- ^ a b c "Audited Financial Statements And Other Disclosures As At 31 December 2018" (PDF). Nairobi: SBM Bank Kenya Limited. 29 March 2019. Retrieved 29 March 2019.
- ^ a b Herbling, David (22 May 2018). "Kenya's Top Buyer of Banks Is Now Looking Ahead to Profits". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 24 September 2018.
- ^ Ngugi, Brian (11 May 2017). "Fidelity Bank now SBM Kenya after Mauritian group buyout". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi.
- ^ a b "Kenya's Chase Bank takeover begins". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. 7 July 2018. Retrieved 8 July 2018.
- ^ "Central Bank of Kenya: Commercial Banks & Mortgage Finance Shareholding Information". Nairobi: Central Bank of Kenya. 31 December 2016. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- ^ Mwaniki, Charles (22 March 2016). "Fidelity sells British fund Duet stake for Sh1.9 billion". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 23 March 2016.
- ^ Ngigi, Brian (11 May 2017). "Fidelity Bank now SBM Kenya after Mauritian group buyout". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 11 May 2017.
- ^ Ngigi, Brian (11 May 2017). "Fidelity gets 3 new directors after SBM deal". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- ^ a b Ngugi, Brian (18 April 2018). "Mauritian bank SBM formally takes over Chase Bank". Business Daily Africa. Nairobi. Retrieved 18 April 2018.
- ^ Miriri, Duncan (November 22, 2016). Potter, Mark (ed.). "Mauritian bank SBM says to acquire Kenya's Fidelity Bank". Reuters. Thomson Reuters. Archived from the original on November 23, 2016. Retrieved November 22, 2016.
- ^ "James Birnie Is Chairman At FidelityBank". NatureKenya.Org. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- ^ Olingo, Allan (6 January 2018). "Mauritius firm SBM formally buys Chase Bank". The EastAfrican. Nairobi. Retrieved 5 February 2018.