Sundaram Balachander (18 January 1927 – 13 April 1990) was an Indian veena player and filmmaker. He directed, produced, and also composed music for a few of his films. Balachander was awarded the Padma Bhushan in 1982.
18 January 1927
|Died||13 April 1990 (aged 63)|
Bhilai, Chhattisgarh, India
|Occupation||Veena player, director, dancer, singer, poet, cine actor, playback singer, music composer, photographer, string artist|
|Years active||1934 to 1990|
|Spouse(s)||Shantha (1953–1990) |
Balachander began as a child artist in Tamil film Seetha Kalyanam in 1934 as a child musician in Ravana's court, opposite V. Sundaram Iyer as Janaka and S. Rajam as Rama. This was followed by appearances in Rishyasringar (1941) and Araichimani (1942).
|1941||Kamadhenu||Tamil||N||N||N||N||Credited as Master Balachandar|
|1947||Baktha Thulasidas||Tamil||N||N||N||Music Composer along with Anil Biswas|
|1948||Idhu Nijama||Tamil||N||Assistant Director|
|1951||Rajambal||Tamil||Music Composer along with M. S. Gnanamani|
|1958||Bhoologa Rambai||Tamil||Director along with D. Yoganand upon the demise of K. Ramnoth|
|1958||Bhooloka Rambha||Telugu||Director along with D. Yoganand upon the demise of K. Ramnoth|
- "Face to Face: S. Balachander". The Illustrated Weekly of India. Vol. 88. Times of India Press. 1967. p. 43.
- Sundaresan, P. N. (1990). Sruti, Issues 65-76. Sruti. p. 34.
- Asian Film Directory and Who's who. 1952. p. 187.
- "Andha Naal: Remembering veena S. Balachander". The Hindu. 7 April 2016. Retrieved 16 May 2020.
- "Rajinikanth launches first look of Antha Naal". Times of India. 31 October 2019. Retrieved 16 May 2020.
- "2nd National Film Awards" (PDF). Retrieved 23 August 2011.
- "4th National Film Awards" (PDF). Directorate of Film Festivals. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Padma Awards" (PDF). Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India. 2015. Archived from the original (PDF) on 15 November 2014. Retrieved 21 July 2015.